• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

European Blue Butterflies for ID (1 Viewer)

Thanks Gavia. I feel a bit guilty that I always seem to be posting such faded and tatty butterfly specimens! Here are a couple more.

Don't feel guilty. The more difficult, the merrier o:D

The new ones are Arguses of some kind. Look at the double offset spots on the underside. Most likely Brown Argus.

I had wondered about Mountain Argus (Aricia artaxerxes), but suppose there wouldn't be so many orange submarginal lunules seen on the upper forewing. It was the distinct blue-violet colouration that can be seen on the upper forewing in the photo which made me start doubting mysef about Brown Argus and trying to find something else.

I had wondered about Mountain Argus (Aricia artaxerxes), but suppose there wouldn't be so many orange submarginal lunules seen on the upper forewing. It was the distinct blue-violet colouration that can be seen on the upper forewing in the photo which made me start doubting mysef about Brown Argus and trying to find something else.

Exactly. I ruled out Mountain Argus for that very reason. My only doubt would be a female Blue Argus but the offset spots usually are more obliquous and the central discal spot is usually a white mark instead of black. The violet colouration of the first pic might be an effect of the sun on the faded surface. It confused me at first but I couldn't find anything else that matches with your butterfly.

And I presume that this is just a nice colour variation of the Common Blue, with once again the sun adding to the colour shade.

Attachments

• IMG_8697_230709.jpg
    IMG_8697_230709.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 49
And I presume that this is just a nice colour variation of the Common Blue, with once again the sun adding to the colour shade.

It enterely looks like a common Blue to me :t:. If it is something else, I cannot tell just with that pic.

Looking forward to seeing more Blue pics o:D

By the way, have a look at the Erebia thread, please. I need confirmation for my last one ;) And I have a mystery Erebia to share once the last one has been sorted out :t:

I am finding it hard to decide about these specimens. I presume 1, 2 and 3 are the same species? But I am not even sure if Photo 4 is actually actually the same species as well?

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0054_060809.jpg
    IMG_0054_060809.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0042_060809.jpg
    IMG_0042_060809.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0043_060809.jpg
    IMG_0043_060809.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0044_060809.jpg
    IMG_0044_060809.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 42
I am finding it hard to decide about these specimens. I presume 1, 2 and 3 are the same species? But I am not even sure if Photo 4 is actually actually the same species as well?

Any thoughts?

First 3 are the same species and I think it is Amanda's Blue. It looks like a male Polyommatus without cell spot. Only 3 possibilities, Amanda's, Chapman's and Escher's. Escher's usually has very well developped orange lunules all along the marginal underwing and forewing area. Chapman's only well developped on the underwing and they are usually very triangular shaped. Amanda's orange lunules are only well marked on the half lower part of the underwing, just like your butterfly :t:

Pic 4 can be or not. Just too faded to be sure of anything. But could be Amanda's too.

I was going to post these next two pictures along with the others, because at first glance I assumed they were also the same species, but then I began to have my doubts and started to wonder if I could see remnants of the blue spots of faded Plebejus?

Attachments

• IMG_0386_100809.jpg
    IMG_0386_100809.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9491.jpg
    IMG_9491.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I was going to post these next two pictures along with the others, because at first glance I assumed they were also the same species, but then I began to have my doubts and started to wonder if I could see remnants of the blue spots of faded Plebejus?

Definitively! If you compare the black spots inside the orange lunules of the previous Polyommatus with this one, you will see how much bigger are in Plebejus, where the studs should be. It is a good clue to separate a faded Plebejus from a faded Polyommantus. Of course it will always depend on how much tatty it is and we already know that nothing is absolute in the Blues ID ;)

Definitively! If you compare the black spots inside the orange lunules of the previous Polyommatus with this one, you will see how much bigger are in Plebejus, where the studs should be. It is a good clue to separate a faded Plebejus from a faded Polyommantus. Of course it will always depend on how much tatty it is and we already know that nothing is absolute in the Blues ID ;)

It is very helpful for me as so many of the butterflies I see and photo are in a very 'sad' condition!

Anyway, here is my next 'sad' case for you to help with! No cell spot...large orange lunules and black 'arrows'. I wondered about 'Escher's'.

Attachments

• IMG_0161_060809.jpg
    IMG_0161_060809.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Anyway, here is my next 'sad' case for you to help with! No cell spot...large orange lunules and black 'arrows'. I wondered about 'Escher's'.

I think it is a Plebejus too, a female for sure and Silver-studded Blue most likely. Pay attention to those orange lunules, big dark spots inside the orange lunules. Although it is faded, I can see that there is white only in the outside area of those lunules. Pay attention to the pattern of the arch on the underwing too. It is typical of a Plebejus. Plus, if you see there is a paler area between the arch of dots and the orange lunules, that is also very typical of the female Plebejus species. The whole butterfly is screaming 'I am a Plebejus' thanks to little details all put together ;)

About the species, I am only sure it isn't Reverdin's. But it is too similar to the Silver-studded Blues I see commonly. I assume that's what it is :t:

So it must make this one an equally 'sad' male Silver-studded Blue!

Attachments

• IMG_9986_040809.jpg
    IMG_9986_040809.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9987_040809.jpg
    IMG_9987_040809.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 46
So now a 'cell-spot' blue, so presumably Common, but very faded and not the characteristic 'broad white fringes'.

Perhaps I could try and claim it to be Phalakron Blue (Polyommatus andronicus)!?;)

Any other more feasible alternative to the Common?

Attachments

• IMG_0488_110809.jpg
    IMG_0488_110809.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 46
I took pics with 5 Blues in the last evening of September, here in Bucharest. I have another view only for #3. #5 was relative small and dark on the upper part of the wings. Let's see...

Attachments

• P9300497m.jpg
    P9300497m.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 34
  • P9300532m.jpg
    P9300532m.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 42
  • P9300554m.jpg
    P9300554m.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 37
  • P9300611m.jpg
    P9300611m.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 38
  • P9300642m.jpg
    P9300642m.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Sorry, Cristian. Couldn't come yesterday and didn't see your post.

2# is a Brown Argus. The others are probably Common Blues. Need to have a better look at them. I am exhausted at the moment due to my work, but will have a proper look at them and last balkantrek's Blue on Saturday, when I am free. I promise.

Nighty night to you all! :cat:

Hi Gavia,

I agree with your identifications: #1 Common, #2 Brown, #3 Common, #4 Common. I'm not sure about #5 - could be a female Common, but it looked dark on the upper part of the wing (or maybe the light was very poor...)

P.S. I'm living Bucharest now. A short mountain trip ;). I will be back Sunday 4th, in the evening...

Last edited:
So now a 'cell-spot' blue, so presumably Common, but very faded and not the characteristic 'broad white fringes'.

Perhaps I could try and claim it to be Phalakron Blue (Polyommatus andronicus)!?;)

Any other more feasible alternative to the Common?

You got me here, Balkantrek. I don't know Phalakron Blue, had to look it up in my books and I don't have any illustration of it. Can be found that butterfly in Bulgaria?

I cannot think of any other possibility but False Eros Blue. But still don't know if it has cell spot or not. Some references say it has cell spot and others say it hasn't. I only can separate it from Common Blue by the upperside.

Unless you can point me out something that I overlooked ;) , I think it is a Common Blue!

Hi Gavia,

I agree with your identifications: #1 Common, #2 Brown, #3 Common, #4 Common. I'm not sure about #5 - could be a female Common, but it looked dark on the upper part of the wing (or maybe the light was very poor...)

P.S. I'm living Bucharest now. A short mountain trip ;). I will be back Sunday 4th, in the evening...

I think #5 is a female Common Blue too. I must admit that it looks a bit odd, particularly in the orange lunules and that silvery fringes but I don't think there is any Blue butterfly in Europe with silvery fringes as a distinctive feature. And it was dark on the upperwing. I think we should assume it is a female Common Blue. At least, that is the most likely to be! :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back