• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden List 2011 (1 Viewer)

February 12, 2011

20. American Kestrel, high in sycamore tree above our bird feeders.

February 13, 2011

21. Carolina Wren, eating suet at the feeder. This winter has been rough on these wrens, so I was rather surprised to see one in our yard!

Probably just a co-incidence...that during this topical 'Dove' period that we're enjoying...I should get my first ever Stock Dove in the garden today..(my 60th in the garden..perched bird!) and my 27th for the year plus a further 21 flyovers..totalling 48 since Jan.1.

55) Stock Dove

Welcome back H...........you go away for a few weeks and I think I'll catch up but no, still trailing.

Had what probably amounts to my earliest Brimstone in the garden today!...along with a good smattering of buzzy bees, and distantly singing Song Thrush, Blackbird and Mistle Thrush....Is something in the air?

cheers

Had what probably amounts to my earliest Brimstone in the garden today!...along with a good smattering of buzzy bees, and distantly singing Song Thrush, Blackbird and Mistle Thrush....Is something in the air?
cheers

Most definately, Ken.

Loads of mating/courting/singing today, with Starlings, Blue tits and House sparrows squabbling over holes in trees, and a Long-tailed tit gathering nesting material. 10c too.

The mild weather brought another songster out this morning - and, after two harsh winters, I was glad that the ('summer' resident)

59 : Goldcrest

has survived to claim next door's young conifer patch as his territory.

No, it's a European Spoonbill, Platalea leucorodia, a scarce visitor to Sussex, usually see one or two per year.

My mistake, Joanne, (I must have had one of those "senior moments")!

I had Black-faced Spoonbill on my mind, as our oldest son is currently in Hong Kong and emailed me that he had taken a birding trip up to Mai Po Wetland Centre and seen several of the Black-faced variety!

* Not a garden (yard) bird, but yesterday I saw 50+ American White Pelicans at a lake near Saint Joseph. They seem to be "jumping the gun" a little bit, as we got seven (7) inches of snow yesterday! That should put Spring "on hold" for a bit!

My mistake, Joanne, (I must have had one of those "senior moments")!

I had Black-faced Spoonbill on my mind, as our oldest son is currently in Hong Kong and emailed me that he had taken a birding trip up to Mai Po Wetland Centre and seen several of the Black-faced variety!

It's OK, Larry. I thought Black-faced might just have been the American name for our Spoonbill...................having only yesterday had a conversation with a friend about how so many of the common American and British names for species differ so the only really reliable ones are the Latin names.

This morning's early watch produced a much-overdue

60 : Grey heron

which, nowadays seems very scarce - maybe the winters have pushed them away.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back