• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a Nankeen Night Heron or Black-crowned Night Heron? Singapore (1 Viewer)

leekc

In my pictures collection of about half of the local 375 bird species, I am unable to identify this one.
Its size is about that of a domestic chicken. height of about 40cm.
Please help.

Attachments

• IMG-0450 fb.jpg
    IMG-0450 fb.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 118
Does Black-crowned Night Heron occur in Singapore? I vaguely remember areas in Indonesia were the two overlap and even hybridize...

This bird appears to be very dark and lacks rufus tones compared to the juv. Nankeens you get in Australia.

Hi guys,

It's a Black-crowned - it's just too dark for a Nankeen Night Heron and NNH has a browner hue to it.

Compared them in the Birds of Borneo, so they overlap there, however Nankeen does not show up in the Birds of South East Asia or the Birds of Singapore (free iPhone app) - and they have every vagrant ever seen in Singapore in that app.

Looks like it should be Black-crowned by distribution as well.

I've put a pic of a juvenile Nankeen Night Heron in (if it attached alright) to compare.

Regards,

Allan

Attachments

• IMG_6521.JPG
    IMG_6521.JPG
    263.3 KB · Views: 97
Yes, Black-crowned Night Heron is common in Singapore. I can see it almost every night in my neighbourhood although it is listed as uncommon in the Nature Society, Singapore bird check list.

I have attached a pic of an adult Black-crowned Night Heron.

As the bird in the picture in question is a juvenile and I could not understand that its size is significantly larger than this adult Black-crowned Night Heron.
Another fact is that the picture was taken under bright sunshine at about 8:00am in which Black-crowned Night Heron would have left.

I also understand that Nankeen Night Heron habitat is mainly in Australia, so it is puzzling me.

Attachments

• IMG_9612 r.jpg
    IMG_9612 r.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 63
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back