• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Few Moths for ID Please (1 Viewer)

The Moore-hen

Association of Satirical Birders & Ornitholigists
Moth ID has never been my strongest subject - can anyone help with these that have come to the bathroom light the last couple of nights in Wolverhampton?

Attachments

• IMG_1000.JPG
    IMG_1000.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1004.JPG
    IMG_1004.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1007.JPG
    IMG_1007.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1009.JPG
    IMG_1009.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 65
Think I'm OK with these 3 as:

1. Angle Shades?
2. Brimstone Moth?
3. Ribband Wave?

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_0993.JPG
    IMG_0993.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0997.JPG
    IMG_0997.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1010.JPG
    IMG_1010.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 45
I'm not great with pugs at the best of times, for 1 and 3, but pictures lose me. Anyway, your micros at 2 and 4 are Eudonia lacustrata and Tachystola acroxantha.

5-7 are correct.

Andy M.

By the way, Tachystola acroxantha is a decent record. It's not out of range in Wolverhamton, but is shown to be a 'local' species, probably an Australian moth import which has spread.

Andy M.

By the way, Tachystola acroxantha is a decent record. It's not out of range in Wolverhamton, but is shown to be a 'local' species, probably an Australian moth import which has spread.

Andy M.

Thanks Andy, much appreciated! I'll make sure I let the local recorder know the details. I use to do a bit a few years ago (probably 15-20 now!) but these have just been what I've found attracted to the bathroom light the last couple of warm nights. Many thanks for the help with ID's.

My inclination is Common Pug for both.

Tachystola acroxantha has gone from about 7 records to 2010 in Avon to very regular so likely to continue pushing north.

All the best

My inclination is Common Pug for both.

Tachystola acroxantha has gone from about 7 records to 2010 in Avon to very regular so likely to continue pushing north.

All the best

Thanks very much Paul. They must be pushing north as I had another two in the bathroom this morning if the first pic below is also one? And is no.2 another Common Pug? Also would like to know what 3,4 and 5 are - was thinking Yellow Shell for 3? but no idea on others. My 3 year old lad is enjoying helping me catch and remove the moths from the bathroom each morning, so thought I'd break myself back into mothing gently by photographing them first and asking for a bit of help along the way - it's all much appreciated...:t:

Attachments

• IMG_1037.JPG
    IMG_1037.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1031.JPG
    IMG_1031.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1033.JPG
    IMG_1033.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1027.JPG
    IMG_1027.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1038.JPG
    IMG_1038.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 46
Thanks very much Paul. They must be pushing north as I had another two in the bathroom this morning if the first pic below is also one? And is no.2 another Common Pug? Also would like to know what 3,4 and 5 are - was thinking Yellow Shell for 3? but no idea on others. My 3 year old lad is enjoying helping me catch and remove the moths from the bathroom each morning, so thought I'd break myself back into mothing gently by photographing them first and asking for a bit of help along the way - it's all much appreciated...:t:

Just think of the possiblities if you had a moth trap!!! That's how I got started. I was curious about how much more was out there. You'll pass your impressive BOU bird list within a few years with moths as well - ;);)

Andy M.

Just think of the possiblities if you had a moth trap!!! That's how I got started. I was curious about how much more was out there. You'll pass your impressive BOU bird list within a few years with moths as well - ;);)

Andy M.

I have got an old MV lamp etc somewhere in the depths on my parents house but it hasn't been out for probably 20+ years but the new bathroom set-up seems to be attracting a few in at the moment and Charlie's (my 3 year old) interest in helping get them back outside has made me look at them again. A bit like my BOU list, if I hadn't of been distracted by the likes of nightclubs, work and eventually a family I wonder how many I would of seen...

Thanks for everyone's help with the ID's...I'm sure I'll have more to come if the weather stays as it is.

Just the 3 micro's from this morning, was OK with the macro's..all 2 of them!

Particularly like 1. smart thing close up. 3 was tiny - less than a cm long I'd estimate. Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1044.JPG
    IMG_1044.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1046.JPG
    IMG_1046.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1040.JPG
    IMG_1040.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 58
For me:-
1. Twenty-plume Moth - Alucita hexadactyla
2. A 'bird-dropping' tortrix that I'll need to look at again but even side-on I suspect that it would be challenging
3. Blastodacna hellerella

All the best

For me:-
1. Twenty-plume Moth - Alucita hexadactyla
2. A 'bird-dropping' tortrix that I'll need to look at again but even side-on I suspect that it would be challenging
3. Blastodacna hellerella

All the best

Cheers Paul, your a gent. I'll remember to try and get a side on of any of those type next time...but sounds like that group is fun even for the experts! Thanks again for the ID help.

Few more moths in this morning - I've tried to have a go at the ID this time but with very little recent experience don't laugh if I end up with 'nil points'...

1. Another Small Dusty Wave?
2. Freyer's Pug? (It was a large pug anyway)
3. Barred or Dark Fruit-tree Tortrix?
4. No idea...
5. Also no idea...

Any help would be much appreciated again.

Attachments

• IMG_1062.JPG
    IMG_1062.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1064.JPG
    IMG_1064.JPG
    196.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1055.JPG
    IMG_1055.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1065.JPG
    IMG_1065.JPG
    271.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1054.JPG
    IMG_1054.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 46
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back