• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

carbon tripod ct 101 vs travel (1 Viewer)

Hello
I wanted to buy the carbon tripod ct 101 travel, because it is lighter and smaller than the normal ct 101, but may be it's too instable for the big 30 70 95, isn't it? (May that tripod is more suitable for the 25 60 65 or 25 60 85).
Thank you
W.

Hi,

actually I would rather buy a carbon tripod from a company specialized in them than one relabelled as Swaro...

But yes, the travel version seems to have 3 click-lock mechanisms and thus 4 leg-sections as opposed to 3 for the normal version which usually results in a less rigid tripod. Swaro gives a max weight of 5kg for both versions.

Joachim

Ha,ha
That's a good point
I'm new in this world of materials, I have no idea. Is something in carbon compatible with the 30 70 95 apart from the "swarovski" tripod?
Vielen Dank

Hi,

the ATX objective modules come with a tripod foot which directly fits their own range of tripod heads and also the very common Manfrotto 128RC (which is a bit on the light side for the ATX95). It also has a 3/8" thread which is standard for connecting photo and video equipment to tripod heads, so any with a 3/8" screw on the quick release plate will fit.

As to what tripod and head to use - this depends on many factors. It has been a good rule of thumb to get a combination rated for at least double your scope weight as maximum allowed weight for extra stability.
Carbon is lighter than aluminium and also more rigid, so vibrations are quicker to cease.

Regarding the height it depends on your height and if you have a straight or angled scope. Straight obviously needs a much higher tripod to use comfortably and since an extended center column is a shaky thing, the legs must be long enough.

You want as few tube sections as possible as many interconnects also lead to less stability (and take longer to extend). My three section velbon legs nicely fit into my suitcase without removing the head and are high enough for me when using an angled scope. If you want the tripod to fit into sth cabin compatible, you might have to get four sections - like the CT101 travel. Regarding the interconnects there's screw type and lever type - I like the screw type better but that's a matter of taste.

Regarding the head, one with a standard manfrotto or arca swiss plate gives you the possibility to get a long plate which allows you to better balance your scope. The Manfrotto MVH 500 AH has been used quite successfully with the ATX95 by Kimmo.

Here's another thread on the right tripod for an ATX95:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=254810

Joachim

Hi,

have had a quick look through a fellow birders ATX95 on a ct101 travel sometime last weekend. It was as stable as my el-cheapo Velbon with the old Kowa in windy conditions. So it seems to be a suitable solution even with the big one for visual use - can't talk about digiscoping.
Didn't get to test the head though as moving the scope set up for the group would have been rude... but it looked to word ok.

Joachim

I use the Swarovski CT 101 legs with a Manfrotto MVH 500 AH for my Swarovski ATX85 (including for digiscoping) and find it the perfect combination.

Joachim, not sure what company Swarovski have used to 'relabel' the legs you refer to, but I haven't seen carbon fibre legs so well made for the price. The lock system I find the best to use - very quick and stable. Also, the weight of the legs is lighter than anything else I could find of that size and price.
The manfrotto head is superb for digiscoping - I've used this setup for a couple of years now and am extremely satisfied and would highly recommend it.

for me, the travel legs are too thin as its a 4-piece tripod, though it does fold up much smaller.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back