• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for ID (German SongBird?) (1 Viewer)

littleberd

This picture of a bird that flew into a shot during the spreading of some ashes in Germany this past August caught me by surprise.
Can anybody guess what the name of this bird might be? I looked under "German Songbirds" but have found nothing, and dont know where to start. I live in Canada, so Im not familiar with this bird. Its about 4-5 inches high, has an prominant orange upper breast that fades into a white or grey underneath, grey wings, and its head is black (as far as I can see and remember).

Anyways, I know the photo is grainy, but any help would be apreciated! Can we narrow it down to maybe a handful of birds?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Papaflowers,photo,birdinmiddlecloseup.jpg
    Papaflowers,photo,birdinmiddlecloseup.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 207
Hi Littleberd and as I see this is your first post welcome to birdforum.

The bird is a European Robin

Gwynn

Thats great!
They're sure alot smaller than their N.American cousins arent they?
Well thanks for the ID everyone, and I'll keep this site in mind if I need anything thing else thats bird related!
Thanks again!

Gwynn said:
Hi Littleberd and as I see this is your first post welcome to birdforum.

The bird is a European Robin

Gwynn

littleberd said:
Thats great!
They're sure alot smaller than their N.American cousins arent they?
Well thanks for the ID everyone, and I'll keep this site in mind if I need anything thing else thats bird related!
Thanks again!

The reason for the size difference is that although the European and American Robins are both within the greater thrush family, the European one is more of a "chat" and is within the genus erithacus.

American Robin is within the Turdus genus, and is most closely related to the European Blackbird. If you look at a picture of the latter, you'll see what I mean.

GV

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back