• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bearded tit behaviour (1 Viewer)

luke

A Welsh birder in Dorset!
hi folks,
i was watching a small flock of bearded tits flying high above a reedbed calling like mad. i remember reading something about this but cant remember what. So whats this behaviour all about??
thanks in advance

Hi Lukje
It's usually the young birds flocking together prior to dispersing from the reedbeds to find new territories I think.

so would the young birds move far away or will they set up new territories in the same or nearby reedbeds???

I think it rather depends on whether there are resident birds at the new site. If there are free territories then the young will stop at the home site but will move quite a distance to find suitable habitat.
I'm sure I read somewhere that beardies dispersing from Blacktoft Sands colonised Leighton Moss, it was proven by trapping Blacktoft ringed birds on the reserve.

thats some distance they covered! it seems at this site, they are resident and grow in numbers every year, so probably the young stay at the site as its a very large reedbed. Fascinating little birds though!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back