• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phone adapter opinion please (2 Viewers)

narawood

There is something not right wrong with me!!!
Hi, it is a very long time since I have been on here, took my Nikon ED82 and lenses out of their case today after many years, I now want to get back to digiscoping and want to try using a smart phone.

I am looking at this adapter:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000458671373.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.78803c00FnFk4E&mp=1

Anyone care to comment on this one, suggestions for alternatives appreciated.

I am absolutely new to phone-scoping, any advice is welcome.

Thank you,
John

Last edited:
At the price, it seems a pretty good option, if only to get your feet wet.
There are masses of phone adapters, with prices going up from this to well into the hundreds.
They are a pain to use, because the phone needs to be clamped in just the right spot for the lens alignment and all adjustments are by very slow screw threads. So spontaneous use is pretty much out.
However, they do allow imaging that was reserved for super expensive telephoto lenses previously.
Good luck and please share your photos.

Thank you etudiant, I will give it a try, probably take 3 weeks to get here from China, I will post pics if I manage to get anything reasonably in focus.
|^|

Last edited:
Thank you etudiant, I will give it a try, probably take 3 weeks to get here from China, I will post pics if I manage to get anything reasonably in focus. :)

The shipping may take longer, I usually budget 2 months for stuff from China.

I've used this unit, double the price, but still very cheap for such adapters.
https://www.amazon.com/Gosky-Univer...3D2ULO6?ref=pf_ov_at_pdctrvw_dp&tag=coa_us-20

Note that it was/is a pain to use, because adjusting it so it clamps on the phone in the right position for the camera to be above the eye piece needs to be verified each time.
Set and forget is a distant dream here, even more so if you change eye pieces.
There may be designs that are easier to set up and more accommodating, but I've not been willing to spend both the time /money needed to find them.
As a clumsy photographer, I'm grateful if I can make the system work sometimes during trips. If I were a professional, I'd demand much better.

I use the phone Skope adapter with my Nikon ED 82.
Really easy to use and works well.

Thank you Toby Tyke.

I looked this up and on 'Phone Skope' website I paired my ED82 with my wife's iphone 6s plus (my personal lowly Motorolla phone is not listed |8(|).

The suggested option from the website was an OtterBox Defender Case Adapter and a C3 Optic Adapter : C3-006-A

The website suggested option shows:

Kit for Apple iPhone 6/6s Plus OtterBox Defender Case Adapter (Not compatible with Commuter) & Nikon Fieldscope 82ED

I am totally puzzled as to what "Not compatible with Commuter" means, any ideas friend(s).

Thank you,
John

I use the phone Skope adapter with my Nikon ED 82.
Really easy to use and works well.

Hi Toby Tyke,

Are you using DS or MC eyepieces on your ED82, I am using MC, at this point in time I don't see how the C3 Optic Adapter:3-006-A could be compatible with both DS and MC eyepieces.

P.S. I have asked Phone Skope this question, let's see if I get a reply.

Thank you,
John

Last edited:
Thank you Toby Tyke.

I looked this up and on 'Phone Skope' website I paired my ED82 with my wife's iphone 6s plus (my personal lowly Motorolla phone is not listed |8(|).

The suggested option from the website was an OtterBox Defender Case Adapter and a C3 Optic Adapter : C3-006-A

The website suggested option shows:

Kit for Apple iPhone 6/6s Plus OtterBox Defender Case Adapter (Not compatible with Commuter) & Nikon Fieldscope 82ED

I am totally puzzled as to what "Not compatible with Commuter" means, any ideas friend(s).

Thank you,
John

Otterbox offers another case called the Commuter. It is considerably different and cheaper, so presumably the adapter does not fit on it.

Hi Toby Tyke,

Are you using DS or MC eyepieces on your ED82, I am using MC, at this point in time I don't see how the C3 Optic Adapter:3-006-A could be compatible with both DS and MC eyepieces.

P.S. I have asked Phone Skope this question, let's see if I get a reply.

Thank you,
John
I use the 30x DS eyepiece.
Phone Skope provide cases for most phones then you get an adapter ring to fit your eyepiece. This then fits onto the phone case.
Found the phone Skope dealer very helpful when I was starting up.
Well worth ringing them.

I use the 30x DS eyepiece.
Phone Skope provide cases for most phones then you get an adapter ring to fit your eyepiece. This then fits onto the phone case.
Found the phone Skope dealer very helpful when I was starting up.
Well worth ringing them.

Thank you Toby Tyke,

Phone Skope asked me for the diameter of my MC eyepiece.

I will measure mine, it will be interesting to find if all of my eyepieces are exactly the same diameter on the ocular end.

John

Last edited:
Hi All,

I have asked Phone Skope for the recommended adaptor for my eyepieces, on measuring them I find that

a) They each have a taper, narrower at the eyepiece end and wider closer to the scope body.
b) they are all different diameters.
c) NOMINALLY the diameters are as follows:
46.7mm on 25x75 MCII zoom - on ED82 Fieldscope
48.36mm on MC 30w - on ED82 Fieldscope
48.56mm on MC 50w - on ED82 Fieldscope
48.78mm on MC 75 w - on ED82 Fieldscope

I await a reply from Phone Skope, I will let you know what they recommend, hopefully the info will be helpful to others.

John

Last edited:
I had a chat with [email protected].

Some problems for me are that each eyepiece I have are of different diameters.
A further complication is that the eyepieces are slightly tapered.
I would need to order a different adapter for each eyepiece and that would be too expensive an option for me.

I will send a picture (with dimensions that illustrate the taper) of one eyepiece to Phone-Skope, I don't know yet which eyepiece I would choose as I cannot afford more than one adapter at this time.

I am hoping that the tapering on the eyepiece will not prove to be problematic, perhaps Phone-Skope could find a solution to this for me.

Have to say that Phone-Skope have been extremely helpful with my queries.

If anyone else is using Phone-Skope adapters would you care to comment on how you rate them.

Thanks,
John

Last edited:
I had a chat with [email protected].

Some problems for me are that each eyepiece I have are of different diameters.
A further complication is that the eyepieces are slightly tapered.
I would need to order a different adapter for each eyepiece and that would be too expensive an option for me.

I will send a picture (with dimensions that illustrate the taper) of one eyepiece to Phone-Skope, I don't know yet which eyepiece I would choose as I cannot afford more than one adapter at this time.

I am hoping that the tapering on the eyepiece will not prove to be problematic, perhaps Phone-Skope could find a solution to this for me.

Have to say that Phone-Skope have been extremely helpful with my queries.

If anyone else is using Phone-Skope adapters would you care to comment on how you rate them.

Thanks,
John[/QUOTE

Just a thought. If you can only have one adapter. Pick the largest diameter one. Then on your other eyepieces wrap some black electrical tape around to bring them up to the same diameter. It does work. I had the zoom as well as the 30x and did this with no problems.

[quote = Toby Tyke] Just a thought. If you can only have one adapter. Pick the largest diameter one. Then on your other eyepieces wrap some black electrical tape around to bring them up to the same diameter. It does work. I had the zoom as well as the 30x and did this with no problems.[/quote]

Thank you Toby Tyke.

John

Last edited:
Update re PhoneSkope adapters.

PhoneSkope have suggested that their U2 Universal Adapter would be recommended for use with Nikon MCII and MC Wide eyepieces.

For me it would appear to be the most cost effective option as I would only need one adapter.

The U2 Universal Adapter would seem to position the phone lens further away from the eyepiece, I wonder if this would make the U2 adapter less effective than a dedicated eyepiece adapter, any thoughts on this?

https://www.phoneskope.com/store/add_product_to_cart/3/2

I sent details (pictures and dimensions) of my eyepieces to PhoneSkope, don't know if the info would be of any use to forum members, but I would be happy to post the info if anyone wants it.

John

Last edited:
Not impressed by phonescope or the titled one from China - you pays your money and all that.
I have an Opti-cron ED80 with a Opti-cron USM2 which just works as a scope adapter.
For my binoculars i have snap zoom which is great with my Swarovski 8.5x42 bins.
Peter

I have this adapter, similar to the one from aliexpress. It takes a little time to set up, but once that is done it is quite solid. A dedicated adapter will set up quicker, but any time you change equipment, you will be buying more pieces. I can also easily share the adapter. Quite useful if you find yourself with a dead battery and need to document a rare bird.

I also purchased this Bluetooth trigger, it is quite helpful to not have to touch my phone in order to take a picture.

I used the Phonescope for awhile with decent success. they were very helpful even custom making something if needed. over time and switching phones I learned how to remove the base piece and re-glue to different cases.
in the search for something better Im trying a Novagrade adapter that tightens onto the eyepiece. I have the single grip and requires more adjustment every time that the Phonescope doesn’t. They make a double gripper option I’d light to upgrade to, I’m inquiring now. It is a more expensive option, but very well made.

I know this is an old thread but for snybody wanting a rock solid adapter just buy the one from Hawke. It's rock solid & fits in seconds!

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back