• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recycling (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Like most people these days in the UK, I diligently sort and separate my recyclables. Naively it seems and again I imagine like many, I had visions of paper, glass and plastic being pulped, melted or shredded and ultimately repurposed - In UK factories.

Reading articles such as this, it make me wonder why I bother..............

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51176312

Like most people these days in the UK, I diligently sort and separate my recyclables. Naively it seems and again I imagine like many, I had visions of paper, glass and plastic being pulped, melted or shredded and ultimately repurposed - In UK factories.

Reading articles such as this, it make me wonder why I bother..............

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51176312

It's partly through devolving resposibilities from central government without any accompanying mandatory framework. The consequence was that local authorities, most of whom had their financial disbursement from central funds reduced or capped at about the same time, all went their own ways.

For example, none of the local authorities that border the one where I live have the same colour-system for bins, the same rules as to what goes into which bin, the same system of collection of waste, the same rules on local sites where other waste is disposed of, the same charges** (some do not yet charge) for depositing waste at those sites, the same operating policies on those sites, or the same strategies for the future.
MJB
**Fly-tipping is now increasing sharply. The local authority says it isn't. The county authority says it is...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back