• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Prairie Falcon? - South Dakota, US (1 Viewer)

Well, for what it's worth, having considered all the evidence, and appreciative of all your opinions and expertise, I consider this to be a small male Prarie Falcon, and that's how I'll record it. This has truly been a learning experience. Thanks to all of you.

Veagle

Veagle,

Here is a Prairie Falcon I saw this past weekend. (Also a lifer for me). Other than the fact mine has a darker mustache, it might as well be the same bird. I had a great size reference in that an RT Hawk was sitting in the same tree.

Attachments

• Prairie Falcon 1.JPG
    Prairie Falcon 1.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 67
Veagle,

Here is a Prairie Falcon I saw this past weekend. (Also a lifer for me). Other than the fact mine has a darker mustache, it might as well be the same bird. I had a great size reference in that an RT Hawk was sitting in the same tree.

Steve,

Let's see... Rapid City to Wichita a long day's flight for a PRFA, who knows??

I had actually seen a few in flight before, but never got this good a view. Ironically made the ID more difficult.

Veagle

Check out the head/bill size ratios between the two pics....still can't get the first bird as a Prairie with that sized head/bill..the 2nd pic is definitely a Prairie (alot more Peregrine-proportioned)

Seen quite a few of both thanks - a hell of alot more Merlins obviously. All I'm saying is with that one first photo on jizz alone I'd've said Merlin. The 2nd photo isn't in doubt but the two when compared are quite different structually

Seen quite a few of both thanks - a hell of alot more Merlins obviously. All I'm saying is with that one first photo on jizz alone I'd've said Merlin. The 2nd photo isn't in doubt but the two when compared are quite different structually

Here is another male prairie to compare to.

Attachments

• Pblock.jpg
    Pblock.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 67
Check out the head/bill size ratios between the two pics....still can't get the first bird as a Prairie with that sized head/bill..the 2nd pic is definitely a Prairie (alot more Peregrine-proportioned)

I think the angle of the shots was quite different; my bird was a good 75 -100 feet in the air at the top of a high tension tower. The other shot looks like it was significantly lower. I am convinced mine was Prairie Falcon.

THis is just a question but how many of you trying to identify this bird have actually seen a Prairie FAlcon? This is a Prairie!!

Never, but I'm pretty sure I made that clear in most of my previous posts though? But yes Prairie and now this thread can rest 8-P

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back