• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (1 Viewer)

Unless the bird itself is on or directly over your property, I would say.

On, over or from is my mantra.

Including heard as well as seen of course.
Nothing new recently but upgraded Black Woodpecker from heard to seen for the year this morning, one in nearby trees enlivened our breakfast
( until then my porridge was naturally the highlight;))

Ok, THIS time I was on my property when I saw it.

Turns out this American Kestrel is a local. It looks like it lives in the neighborhood somewhere. I saw it in the same tree I saw it in yesterday.

I might build an American Kestrel nesting box for it.

Didn't have my camera on me.

4) American Kestrel

Jared

A few more from the past week. Puffin the definite highlight, a difficult bird to see in Norfolk.

59 Greylag Goose
60 Shag
61 Red-breasted Merganser
62 Puffin
63 Greenfinch

January 20th.

Two fly-overs:

41. Song Thrush - the first since November
42. Siskin

Also nice were two female Blackcaps together, the first time I have had two this winter.

Steve

Unless the bird itself is on or directly over your property, I would say.

On, over or from is my mantra.

Yep. Can't think I've ever had an addition like that though myself ... has anyone? I've had a Wryneck in the hedge once, but I was the wrong side and wouldn't have been able to say it was actually on 'my side' of the boundary at the time ... or am I being too strict?

Yep. Can't think I've ever had an addition like that though myself ... has anyone? I've had a Wryneck in the hedge once, but I was the wrong side and wouldn't have been able to say it was actually on 'my side' of the boundary at the time ... or am I being too strict?

Sounds correct and honest as I would expect from all of us;)
Like Jared I had a similar near miss when I lived at Selsey Bill, I was walking back home and saw a Pied Flycatcher just the wrong side of our fence, ran home, looked over the fence and the bird had flown! Never did get the species on the Garden List in my 16 years there.....

Mabe Burnthouse, nr Falmouth, Cornwall, UK

1st Jan 2020

10) Collared Dove

Struggled to find my records, so being really good and starting with dated occurrences only - one specific that I can recall

6th Jan 2020

11) Kestrel one in flight (didn't have this last year)

Then -

19th Jan 2020

12) Grey Heron 1 over
13) Black-headed Gull - 2 circling nearby
14) Blackcap - 1 female
15) Goldfinch - 3 briefly
16) Dunnock
17) Rook - finally added 3, there's a big Jackdaw roost nearby
18) Cormorant - 1 in flight

20th Jan 2020

19) Pied Wagtail
20) Carrion Crow
21) Wren
22) Long-tailed Tit c5
23) Great Tit

Red Admiral butterfly on the front of the house on the 12th

Unfortunately no Firecrest since late December.

Sounds correct and honest as I would expect from all of us;)
Like Jared I had a similar near miss when I lived at Selsey Bill, I was walking back home and saw a Pied Flycatcher just the wrong side of our fence, ran home, looked over the fence and the bird had flown! Never did get the species on the Garden List in my 16 years there.....

Indeed ;)

The only other was a Water Rail that ran across the road in front of the car as I was approaching the field once ... it ran up the bank and out of sight and straight into my property ... undoubtably it did, but I didn't see it. A year or two later one overwintered for a few weeks in the Blackthorn scrub, so got it back.

6) Canada Goose

They have been flying over a lot. I've been hearing them and seeing them.

They are fun to watch.

I've had Canada goose for dinner a few times also, no offense to bird lovers here intended.

Jared

7) House Sparrow

House Sparrow Male_2.jpg

8) Red Tailed Hawk

Red Tailed Hawk_13.jpg

Had my camera on me at the time I saw them. I was in my front yard.

I LOVE photographing Raptors!

Jared

6)

I've had Canada goose for dinner a few times also, no offense to bird lovers here intended.

Jared

I wish more people in the UK would eat them! They were introduced supposedly at least partly for shooting but nobody seems to bother with them, preferring proper wild geese like Pink-feet as prey.

Anyway...….

January 22nd.
43. Grey Wagtail - 2 over low late afternoon

Steve

Surprise today at my bird feeder.

9) Northern Flicker.

I never thought I'd see one so close to my feeder. It flew off before I could get a picture.

If I or my wife didn’t see or hear it myself I wouldn’t add it to an annual list like this (which is a harmless bit of fun for most of us each year - I think!), but I would definitely add a camera trapped or sound recorded record to my observations inputted to the LPO/ eBird.
I could be in a minority of one of course................

For the scientific record if it occurred, it occurred. As Richard says, if it's for your own personal recording, then no. I guess you have to have 'experienced' it in real time, in person ... but then, similar to dead animals*, can it go on the 'house/garden' list as that is a separate entity to yourself ... ?

Moral conundrum.

(* Did it die on the property, or was transported in by other means?)

23) Great Tit

24) Magpie

Another that had occurred earlier with no date. Starling the only outstanding (remaining to be added as opposed to being amazing) one now I think.

Possibles include a just-missed probable Buzzard and a bounding mid-sized passerine (probably a Great Spotted woodpecker), and a possible Chiffchaff in the hedge today.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back