• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI southeast Europe targets (1 Viewer)

I had several Levant Sprawks in northwest Bulgaria between Kozloduy and Lom in early September a few years ago - seemed to be quite common there :t:

Dubrovnik rock partridge are potentially more difficult than DMW says.
In 2017 I also saw one (fairly briefly) within seconds of arrival but none at all over the next few hours looking.
cheers,
James

I was at the Dubrovnik site last summer, it took all afternoon to see Rock partridge but it was incredibly hot and they only got active as it cooled in the evening, also at the top of the road in the small village there were Sombre tits.

Mark

I was at the Dubrovnik site last summer, it took all afternoon to see Rock partridge but it was incredibly hot and they only got active as it cooled in the evening, also at the top of the road in the small village there were Sombre tits.

Mark

Thanks.

Anyone got directions to a good spot to look for them?

basically here
42.588957, 18.246615
and all along the minor road that leads north to the village,
plus the Ronald Brown trail that heads downhill here
42.596573, 18.244032

cheers,
James

Dubrovnik rock partridge are potentially more difficult than DMW says.
In 2017 I also saw one (fairly briefly) within seconds of arrival but none at all over the next few hours looking.
cheers,
James

Glad it's not just me. I got good views but it took me a couple of dawn/dusk tries before I was successful. I always heard them but it was very hard to locate exactly where they were coming from.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=266942&highlight=Hungary+for+More

Larry

Although it was back in 2013, I highlight a good traditional location for Sakers in Hungary. Unless the nest-boxes there have been moved, you have a good chance of connecting. I had 5 different birds when I went to that area near Hortobagy for a day. Little Hortobagy is also a good bet if the primary location fails you.

All 4 are possible in Bulgaria according to E-bird.org.

Levant Sparrowhawks pour through Burgas area late September, and also are breeding in south of Country when they can be seen in May.
You are right that SC Flycatchers can be seen close to the main road in Goritza Forest close to Burgas, but primarily in May and then early June.

Saker can be seen in Southern Bulgaria, but you will need precise information & most are the result of a reintroduction programme in 2015.
Likewise you will need precise info with Rock Partridge.

Bottom line is all 4 are quite difficult but possible. Though you could 0, 2, or all 4 depending on your information quality.

Last edited:
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=266942&highlight=Hungary+for+More

Larry

Although it was back in 2013, I highlight a good traditional location for Sakers in Hungary. Unless the nest-boxes there have been moved, you have a good chance of connecting. I had 5 different birds when I went to that area near Hortobagy for a day. Little Hortobagy is also a good bet if the primary location fails you.

All 4 are possible in Bulgaria according to E-bird.org.

Levant Sparrowhawks pour through Burgas area late September, and also are breeding in south of Country when they can be seen in May.
You are right that SC Flycatchers can be seen close to the main road in Goritza Forest close to Burgas, but primarily in May and then early June.

Saker can be seen in Southern Bulgaria, but you will need precise information & most are the result of a reintroduction programme in 2015.
Likewise you will need precise info with Rock Partridge.

Bottom line is all 4 are quite difficult but possible. Though you could 0, 2, or all 4 depending on your information quality.

Saker is probable in Austria. Again there is a nest box scheme with birds on pylons not far from Marchegg. I can give more detailed directions but don't want to publish them on a forum, even though they are in the public domain. Both male and female performed well last May, although the planned trip there for next month has had to be cancelled.

Rock Partridge are available in Slovenia on Mt Nanos. South facing slopes seemed to be best.

Both site are probably more accessible from the UK than the sites already mentioned - certainly a shorter drive.

If you go by car, first check for Patridge you can do in Alps of Germany at Haldenwanger Eck. But better start hike from Warth in Austria. There is also chance for Rock Trush.

Last edited:
Semi-collared Flycatcher
These are in woodland (edge of Baltata Forest)at the resort of Albena (pay to enter), 29 km north of Varna. We parked outside the Bowling Nite Club and walked into the woods, through the chalets (which were mostly vacant).

Another site is one km north of Gorica (about 40 km south of Varna river bridge). Park in layby on east side and follow paths into forest.

Good luck!

The Goritza layby off the main road produced for me back in early June 2007 :)-.

But I was told timing was everything, and indeed I was probably a bit lucky that they were still present close to their nestboxes.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back