• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

moth photography (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
I was wondering if anyone has any views on the best digital camera for photoing moths these days? A couple of years ago it was the Nikon Coolpix 4500 that everyone was raving about. What is it today? And how much would it cost?
I'm considering buying a new digital camera but money is an issue!
PS I see that you can buy the 4500 for £279 from Microglobe now (plus £8 p & p)
Ken

Last edited:
Surreybirder said:
I was wondering if anyone has any views on the best digital camera for photoing moths these days? A couple of years ago it was the Nikon Coolpix 4500 that everyone was raving about. What is it today? And how much would it cost?
Ken
Hi Ken
I use a Canon 20D with Tamron 90mm Macro lens and I always use a tripod when I can
I also have a 4500 but must admit never having used it for Moths only for Digiscoping
I am sure it would be a good camera for Moths as the Marco setting is very good, personally it always used to drive me mad because it is so slow (one of the reasons I switched to DSLR)
There seems to be many good compacts available on the market these days and lots at affordable prices
My only advice for what its worth is to purchase the best you can afford, if you are anything like me you end up upgrading anyway!
Many thanks BTW for all your Moth ids that I have posted! ;)
Regards
PaulV

Thanks, Paul.
When you say the 4500 is very slow, do you mean that it takes a long time to 'take' the shot after you press the button? I can see that would be a problem for digiscoping but I tend to photo moths that are still. I don't see myself trying to catch insects in flight, for example.
I hope that at least some of my IDs have been correct!!
Ken

I used to use the 995 and I think that is much like the 4500. Slow in that case meant focussing took an age (and was not always accurate), especially in macro mode.

I now use the Nikon P4, which has a higher pixel count but 4cm as opposed to 1cm close focussing. The end results are comparable but the P4 lens is not quite as sharp and so you can't crop quite as tightly as you might think. The great thing is it's really fast - both to start up and focus.

On paper the new Canons (A630/640) look good with high number of pixels, 1cm macro and good lens, but I'd speak to someone who has one first.

The 4cm minimum is not that great. I think I got slightly better results with the 995 for micros but the P4 is much easier and it will stand longer handheld shutter speeds thanks to the image stabilisation.

I'm not recommending the P4, just saying it suits me as I get reasonable results both with moths and digiscoping.

All these options look good! I'm torn between upgrading my digital camera or getting a better moth trap... mine is beginning to look distinctly 'tired'.
Ken

Hi Ken

I use a simple Fuji Finepix E550, comfortable to handle, quick start up and an excellent macro mode, perfect for taking moths. It must be awfully difficult to make a decision with so many good cameras around now. Anyway I thought I would give my opinion. Hope you find the camera that suits you.

Nerine

Thanks, Nerine. As you say... very difficult. Does the E550 have a good 'macro' facility? I'm not sure it's any better than the one I have now (Finepix 2400).
I was given some money as a farewell present for a job I stopped doing - and I'm in a mega-dither about what to do with it!
Ken

Surreybirder said:
Thanks, Nerine. As you say... very difficult. Does the E550 have a good 'macro' facility? I'm not sure it's any better than the one I have now (Finepix 2400).
I was given some money as a farewell present for a job I stopped doing - and I'm in a mega-dither about what to do with it!
Ken

Heh, heh, I knew I'd get my revenge on you Ken. How about buying some photography lessons. ROFPMSL.

Harry
Everything comes to he who waits.

Hi Ken,

|^| Is our Harry alright up there?! Take it easy Harry, more water with it too! ;) I've heard of some assortments of ROF.... but ROFPMSL???

I've a Nikon coolpix 4500 which is great when the subject is keeping still for a while and I can get up close to it. Not always (to my mind) the easiest of cameras to use, but stunning pictures when you get your subject just right.

Likewise though, like Nerine I also have a Fuji finepix which has a great macro mode but I don't need to get get quite so close with it but still takes great photos. Both also take good landscapes when nothing's about.

Good luck with your choice, not easy is it!

Sue.

harry eales said:
Heh, heh, I knew I'd get my revenge on you Ken. How about buying some photography lessons. ROFPMSL.

Harry
Everything comes to he who waits.

Ah, Harry,
"This was the unkindest cut of all;/ For, when the Noble moth'er saw him stab,/ Ingratitude, more strong than traitors' arms,/ Quite vanquish'd him"

I hope the score is settled now (whatever it was). :'D
Ken

Last edited:
Surreybirder said:
Ken

Most of the shots on my website were taken by me using a Coolpix 995, and the 4500 will be an improvement in terms of image size. You can judge for yourself whether the results are adequate!

Mike

Surreybirder said:
Ken

I would imagine the E550 is much better than the Finepix 2400 (isn't it quite old?) I used to have a Finepix 4800 and updated it to the E550. I really noticed a difference. The macro is excellent less than 10 cms to about 80 cms. The camera is light to carry, you can put it in your pocket. Depends what you want but for moths I find this one ideal! I also like simplicity!

Good Luck

Nerine

I use a canon 20D+canon EF100mm F2.8 macro lens set up,Gives great results,butiis a huge learning curve,to sort out shutter speed,aperture settings,correct lighting,but its fun learning.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back