• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First bird prediction time. (1 Viewer)

pduxon

Quacked up Member
Ok folks no doubt we're all be out bright and early (well out!!) on New Year's day. What do you predict will be your first bird of the new year. I want you all to come back and say what it actually is.

I'm going for Starling.

Likely to be an Owl (either Tawny or Barn Owl) I`ll be up early and off to the coast and my run over usually produces one or the other before its even got light.....

No doubt about it - Budgie! - we have one in the house ;)

Second to that is Great Tit - either in it's camera monitored nest box or in the back garden!

I'm hoping it'll be Waxwing (pah!), or failing that, Redwing but if I'm honest it'll probably be Collared Dove or Black-headed Gull

Anna's Hummingbird at our feeder. They're slurping away long before the sun rises, and are invariably the first birds we see every morning.

Little owl.
(It was my 1st both 2day & on Saturday)

Normally try to 'get' these 4 species on the 1st Jan:-
Water Rail
Jack Snipe
Long eared Owl
Woodcock.

S

Michael Frankis said:
I'm on a New Years Day birdrace (weather permitting), starting about 6am, so I'll go for Tawny Owl

Michael
Michael what is a New Years day birdrace.You aren't racing pidgeons are you,surely!!.
Pete,do we have to be actually up and out and about as such.Bit of a tall order for New Years Day morning.This village dances around (the people)the lampost in the village centre at 12 midnight,then the pubs do not close.Now yes our nearest local is adjacent to the beach(these snow flakes are causing havoc with the cursor) but I can see the seagulls from the bedroom window without even having to get out of bed,so I will say seagull.But then again I may see a flight of geese go past or one morning two swans flew by very low and close,so I will opt for gull.
Christine.

Depending if I am still up or not the most likely is a Common Koel or Channel-billed Cuckoo, boith of which are calling fairly regularly in the suburbs of Sydney at night at the moment.
The first pre dawn caller is Laughing Kookaburra, while the one that is probably the most likely if I get to sleep in a little is Noisy Miner, which regularly fight over the Grevillea outside my bedroom window.
Cheers,
Peter

Well, it'll be hard to beat the Cooper's Hawk on top of my feeder pole on New Year's morning 3 years ago . . .

or the River Otters I FINALLY got to see last year on a CBC on New Year's Day . . .

I'm doing the CBC again this year, and we hope, weather permitting, to go owling before the count actually begins. So maaaaaybe a Barred Owl.

Barring that (you'll excuse the pun), I'll go with Starling.

And yes, Pete, I'll report back.

christineredgat said:
Michael what is a New Years day birdrace.
An all-day competition between two or more teams of birders, to see who can find the most different birds in one day. If all goes well, we should get around 110 species, all in Northumberland (see my posting in 11 days time!). A good way of blowing away the christmas cobwebs . . .

Michael

It'll probably be the noisy Hooded Crow that sits on my TV aerial, it's there most mornings just as it's coming light. After the serenade it flies down to the wall at the edge of the garden where it continues it's rendition until it's mate arrives, this is usually followed by a raucous band of Rooks, they seem hellbent on devouring everything that looks edible. If one finds a sizeable tasty morsal then there's a general mellee for possesion, have you ever watched Rooks fighting, it's comical.

nirofo.

Hi Birdman,

Have to cheat a bit here since I won't be in the country on NYD, but if I was, I reckon it will be a Blackcap.

They are very frisky in the garden at the moment, and their relatively pale colours stand out well in the gloom as they move from bush to bush when you look out over the garden first thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back