• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bullfinch- Overweight Male? (1 Viewer)

Paraiso

We have an overweight male Bullfinch in our secluded garden, a great grandfather called Bernard. He struggles to fly and exhausts himself so easily. (He may spend up to 10 minutes getting his breath back!) He seems to feed well, but prefers ground feeding. His offspring don't bother much with him, although he does have a lady friend.
Is there anything we can do for him? (I fear he may be in his last year).
I will try to attach a photo.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-03-30 at 4.32.43 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-03-30 at 4.32.43 PM.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 49
Hi Paraiso and a warm welcome from me too.

Oh dear... that reminds me of a Chaffinch I had in the garden here a few years ago. The outcome wasn't good I'm afraid. He died a few days later. I never did manage to find out what was wrong with him though.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Your Chaffinch most probably had Salmonella Delia, stopping feeding for several days and cleaning all feeders stops it spreading.
The Bullfinch however, Paraiso, are you saying it’s been looking like this for some years?

He definitely does not look well.

Welcome to the Forum and could you please keep us updated on its outcome?

An unusual case then!
As a lad, I remember playing rugby against Hipperholme Grammar, they gave us a great tea afterwards, maybe your Bullfinch has been eating too many of their cakes :eek!:

An unusual case then!
As a lad, I remember playing rugby against Hipperholme Grammar, they gave us a great tea afterwards, maybe your Bullfinch has been eating too many of their cakes :eek!:
I'm glad you have fond memories of Hipperholme Richard. Hopefully Bernard will feel better soon, maybe I could give him some Andrews?

Welcome to Birdforum! I'm sure you'll find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits. Bernard certainly does look a bit porky.

We have an overweight male Bullfinch in our secluded garden, a great grandfather called Bernard. He struggles to fly and exhausts himself so easily. (He may spend up to 10 minutes getting his breath back!) He seems to feed well, but prefers ground feeding. His offspring don't bother much with him, although he does have a lady friend.
Is there anything we can do for him? (I fear he may be in his last year).
I will try to attach a photo.
'

Poor little mite, he's so bloated, he makes ME look like Ussain Bolt :king:

So sad that there's obviously something amiss, internally.

Whilst we get all types here (plus Goldfinch), I've not seen a Bullfinch here since 2014/2015

Always hope, as I saw our first Greenfinch here (Male), a few Saturdays back.
(2-weeks ago)

Anyways - Greetings from a fellow 'newb' :t:

Do keep us posted as to how 'Bernard' is faring & hope his remaining days are pain-free !

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back