• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding sites in Houston, Vegas and California (1 Viewer)

tomjenner

I will be visiting the US over Christmas and I would appreciate any advice that you can offer on places to visit. It is not really a birding holiday (we are visiting various relatives of my wife), but I hope that we can visit a few sites in the area. I am particularly interested in seeing the local US birds rather than the Mexican species that just reach up into the US.
We will fly to Las Vagas and stay for a few days, then hire a car and visit Burbank in California for a few days. This leg of the jouney will be 2 weeks in total, so we have a bit of time to go off our route a bit (Grand Canyon etc). I would particularly like the chance to see a Californian Condor, if there are any regular viewing places in that part of the state (my only previous trip to California was in 1987, about 1 month after they captured the last one). We then fly to Houston, where we will be based (again with a hire car) for another week.

Tom

Tom,
I can't give you any detailed info but for starters, there are several RFI threads on Las Vegas that a search will turn up. For Houston, check out the Houston Audubon Society's web site, they give a fair bit of info. There are also several "birding trails" covering different regions of Texas and available on the web. The Texas Gulf Coast is a great place for shore/ sea birds. Galveston / Bolivar Flats are good (though I've only been there during migrations). Brazos Bend State Park, and Anahuac NWR (see my report on Rails) are also great places. Hopefully, some of our Houston members will give some more detailed info.
Good luck and enjoy the trip.

Hi, there:

I'd be happy to give you good locations for our area species. I'm off of work during that time and would be willing to meet you in the field for part of a day, as well.

Feel free to contact me directly if you'd like any help planning your trip.

Steve Gross
NW Houston

Hi, Tom,

I don't believe there are any condor release sites locally here in southern California without a several hours' drive from Burbank. I will look into this and let you know otherwise, but I think you're looking at a 2-day trip.

If you have target species for southern California, let me know and I'll be happy to help get info or even hook up with you for some birding. Burbank's only about 40 miles from where I'm living so it's "freeway close" as we insane locals say. ;)

Birding Houston

You should fit in a couple of hours at Lake Sheldon, which is just a few miles northeast of downtown Houston. It should be very good for ducks and related.

If you want a great birding day trip, go to Anahuac NWR, 40 minutes east of downtown. Then head south to the coast. (You'll pass High Island on the way, but it's not worth a visit in the winter.) Drive west along the coast, stopping along the way at Rollover Pass. Go on to the Audubon beach on Bolivar Peninsula - always great for all kinds of birds. Horseshoe Marsh, just across the road from the beach site, is worth a look also. Then take the free ferry across to Galveston and drive back up the I-45 to Houston.

Another site that is always good is Brazoria NWR, about 40 minutes southwest of downtown. Plenty of ducks, thousands of Snow Geese and should be quite a few Sandhill Cranes also.

Jeff

Thanks for the advice so far and for the kind offers to meet up for some birding, which are much appreciated. I will respond with a PM.
I was looking at the range map in my Sibley guide and it looked as though the wintering grounds of Whooping Crane are in the vicinity of Houston. However, I know that Texas is a big place and it may be miles off. That would certainly be high on my list if anyone knows of a good site.

Tom

Port Aransas

The only place to be sure of Whooping Cranes is Port Aransas near Corpus Christi. It's a full day's trip, because it takes 3-4 hours from Houston. If you stayed overnight, you could get in some great birding in the CC area.

"Port Aransas is located on the northern tip of Mustang Island about 30 minutes across the bay from Corpus Christi. Take IH-37 to Corpus Christi, then over the harbor bridge to U.S. Highway 181 thru Portland, on to State Highway 361 to the free ferry ride. Or, IH-37 to Corpus Christi, exit onto South Padre Island Drive, and cross over the JFK Causeway to the island. From there, turn left onto State Highway 361 to Mustang Island and follow it to Port Aransas."

Corn Creek, NV

tomjenner said:
I will be visiting the US over Christmas and I would appreciate any advice that you can offer on places to visit. It is not really a birding holiday (we are visiting various relatives of my wife), but I hope that we can visit a few sites in the area. I am particularly interested in seeing the local US birds rather than the Mexican species that just reach up into the US.
We will fly to Las Vagas and stay for a few days, then hire a car and visit Burbank in California for a few days. This leg of the jouney will be 2 weeks in total, so we have a bit of time to go off our route a bit (Grand Canyon etc). I would particularly like the chance to see a Californian Condor, if there are any regular viewing places in that part of the state (my only previous trip to California was in 1987, about 1 month after they captured the last one). We then fly to Houston, where we will be based (again with a hire car) for another week.

Tom

While in Las Vegas, be certain to visit Corn Creek, a desert oasis that is a bird magnet.

Val Cramer
Santa Rosa, CA

Thanks Val. Yes I found some good info on the internet about Corn Creek and on another Birdforum thread about the Las Vegas. It looks like a good oasis for drawing in the local desert birds.

Tom

There was a thread recently about someone going from San Diego to SE Arizona, try look at that one. My own favorite spots for S Cal (from all of two visits :) ) are Joshua Tree (http://www.nps.gov/jotr/) and Big Morongo (http://www.blm.gov/ca/palmsprings/bigmorbirds.html). It will be worth it for you to get the local ABA/Lanes guide.

You mentioned Grand Canyon, where I faintly remember reading in another thread that California Condors are regularly visible. Dont expect many other birds there in the winter.

Cheers
Niels

JeffMoh said:
The only place to be sure of Whooping Cranes is Port Aransas near Corpus Christi. It's a full day's trip, because it takes 3-4 hours from Houston. If you stayed overnight, you could get in some great birding in the CC area.

"Port Aransas is located on the northern tip of Mustang Island about 30 minutes across the bay from Corpus Christi. Take IH-37 to Corpus Christi, then over the harbor bridge to U.S. Highway 181 thru Portland, on to State Highway 361 to the free ferry ride. Or, IH-37 to Corpus Christi, exit onto South Padre Island Drive, and cross over the JFK Causeway to the island. From there, turn left onto State Highway 361 to Mustang Island and follow it to Port Aransas."

?? You won't see Whooping Cranes in Port Aransas. They are only see-able in
the vast tidal flats several miles north, accessible only by the tour boats. You CAN catch the Wharf Cat Whooping Crane boat on Tuesday at 10 AM at Fisherman's Wharf in Port Aransas. Other days it is harbored at Rockport Harbor where it leaves at 10:00 AM. You might also get a distant look at whoopers at Aransas National Wildlife, but that is iffy.

maryvest said:
?? You won't see Whooping Cranes in Port Aransas. They are only see-able in
the vast tidal flats several miles north, accessible only by the tour boats. You CAN catch the Wharf Cat Whooping Crane boat on Tuesday at 10 AM at Fisherman's Wharf in Port Aransas. Other days it is harbored at Rockport Harbor where it leaves at 10:00 AM. You might also get a distant look at whoopers at Aransas National Wildlife, but that is iffy.
Thanks. I actually got lucky, with distant views, at Aransas National Wildlife Refuge. However, I was aware that it was only a 50 50 chance of seeing them, but I only had a day trip available, which left me no time to do a proper boat tour.

Tom

Tom,

I just spent a few days in Las Vegas. I put a report on Cloudbirders.

I went after California Condor at the Vermillion Cliffs in Northern Arizona and saw 26 of them on New Year's Day. Navaho Bridge, near Page is also a good place for them.

I'd also recommend Corn Creek near Vegas.

Last edited:
Tom,

I just spent a few days in Las Vegas. I put a report on Cloudbirders.

I went after California Condor at the Vermillion Cliffs in Northern Arizona and saw 26 of them on New Year's Day. Navaho Bridge, near Page is also a good place for them.

I'd also recommend Corn Creek near Vegas.

Jeff... Tom took his trip in 2006. I certainly hope he is home by now! 3:)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back