• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mammals seen while birding (1 Viewer)

I have only had the oppurtunity to bird once here on Seram so far, so therefore the number of mammals seen so far is very limited.

A group of 12-15 black-bearded flying-foxes seen flying over a rice-field 20km south-west of Wahai while watching a groups of shelducks.

A rat, which I assume was a Spiny Seram rat was spotted while foraging on a grasshopper or something in some undergrowth along a large road some 12km south-west of Wahai.

A few mammals oberved while birding in Manusela NP here on Seram

Seram flying-fox: One roost with some 20-30 individuals found at high altitude, single individuals was found feeding in a fruit trees at dusk and small groups (likely this species) was seen flying over the treee canopy

Temmincks flying-fox: Our guide showed us an old river creek which this species was known to visit, there was apparently a small roosting colony locatéd further upstream, altough during those two hours we spent there we only got glimps of 3-4 individuals, well worth it though, the birdlife was far richer around this small creek.

Moluccan Bare-backed Fruit-bat: We saw at least 5 individuals of this species during our last day in Manusela, four were seen flying overhead and a single individual was found roosting under a small outcrop, we saw similar bats at several more occasions but those could also have been Green Bare-backed fruit-bat

Pallas tube-nosed bat: I only managed to id a single individual of this bat, it was seen about as soon as we entered the park, was seen flying over a over grown field.

Small black mouse-eared bat: A single small bat which swiftly flew past us while walking on a patch with over hanging and dense canopy, according to our guide this species makes a very distinctive sound while flying.

Malay civet: We saw foot prints at several occasions and a mongoose looking creature was spotted with a spotlight in some dense undergrowth at ca 1200m, the species is introduced on nearby Buru, and this would be the first record for Seram, altough according to our local guide this animal is widespread in the lowlands.

Melomys: A adult specimen was seen creeping on a tree during our first day, not very shy and we saw it well, at least three species occurs on Seram and all known species is very poorly known, it was either an undescribed species or Dusky melomys (the only species known to be widespread on Seram) that we saw.

Papuan birder said:
A few mammals oberved while birding in Manusela NP here on Seram

Seram flying-fox: One roost with some 20-30 individuals found at high altitude, single individuals was found feeding in a fruit trees at dusk and small groups (likely this species) was seen flying over the treee canopy

Temmincks flying-fox: Our guide showed us an old river creek which this species was known to visit, there was apparently a small roosting colony locatéd further upstream, altough during those two hours we spent there we only got glimps of 3-4 individuals, well worth it though, the birdlife was far richer around this small creek.

Moluccan Bare-backed Fruit-bat: We saw at least 5 individuals of this species during our last day in Manusela, four were seen flying overhead and a single individual was found roosting under a small outcrop, we saw similar bats at several more occasions but those could also have been Green Bare-backed fruit-bat

Pallas tube-nosed bat: I only managed to id a single individual of this bat, it was seen about as soon as we entered the park, was seen flying over a over grown field.

Small black mouse-eared bat: A single small bat which swiftly flew past us while walking on a patch with over hanging and dense canopy, according to our guide this species makes a very distinctive sound while flying.

Malay civet: We saw foot prints at several occasions and a mongoose looking creature was spotted with a spotlight in some dense undergrowth at ca 1200m, the species is introduced on nearby Buru, and this would be the first record for Seram, altough according to our local guide this animal is widespread in the lowlands.

Melomys: A adult specimen was seen creeping on a tree during our first day, not very shy and we saw it well, at least three species occurs on Seram and all known species is very poorly known, it was either an undescribed species or Dusky melomys (the only species known to be widespread on Seram) that we saw.

Both Green Bare-backed fruit-bat and Moluccan flying-fox (roosting) was spotted while looking for waders and egrets in a mangrove swamp at dawn 5 days ago

Last edited:
I try to keep a mammal list for every country I visit, although I havn't got round to sorting out a British one. This is mainly because I do not remember dates, places etc. for many species.
One mammal I have seen several times is badger, although not while out birding. The last one I saw was foraging for worms one evening, in the middle of a busy roundabout, in South Essex!

One list I am particularly proud of is my 2002 Australian Mammal list. I spent 7 months there on a 'backpacking holiday.'

For those who are interested:-

Short-beaked Echidna
Platypus
Eastern Quoll
Tasmanian Devil
Long-nosed Bandicoot
N. Brown Bandicoot
Common Wombat
Koala
Daintree River Possum
Common Ringtail Possum
Lemuroid Ringtail Possum
Green Ringtail Possum
Common Brushtail Possum
Greater Glider
Musky Rat-kangeroo
Red-legged Pademelon
Tas. Pademelon
N. Nailtail Wallaby
Antilopine Wallaroo
Agile Wallaby
Red-necked Wallaby
Swamp Wallaby
Whiptail Wallaby
Common Wallaroo
E. Gray Kangeroo
Grey-headed Flying Fox
Little Red Flying Fox
Black Flying Fox
Spectacled Flying Fox
Common Blossom-bat
Common Bentwing Bat
Great White-tailed Rat
Cape York Rat
Common Dolphin
Dingo
Red Fox
Brown Hare
European Rabbit
Feral Pig
Feral Cat

Mammals seen during birdwatching in the Moluccas

Ornate cuscus (Bacan and Halmahera)
Obi cuscus (Obi)
Water rat (Obi,currently classified as a subspecies but most likely disntictive)
Obi Melomys (Obi)
Moluccan Prehensile-tailed rat (Halmahera)
Halmahera bare-backed fruit-bat (Bacan and Halmhahera)
Northern Moluccan Flying-fox (Bacan and Halmahera)
Masked Flying-fox (Bacan and Halmhahera)
Halmahera blossom bat (Halmahera)
Biak horsehoe-bat (Halmahera)
Kai horsehoe-bat (Bacan)

Mammals seen during birdwatching on Mangole and Sanana

Peleng cuscus (Mangole and Sanana)
Sulu rat (Mangole and Sanana)
Sulawesi bare-backed fruit-bat (Mangole and Sanana)
Swift fruit-bat (Mangole)
Great bentwing-bat (Sanana)
Sulawesi naked bat (Mangole and Sanana)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back