• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jays everywhere! (1 Viewer)

2520years

Lurking in the bushes is wrong.
I put out some live waxworms about a week ago. Half had died because none of the birds seemed to know they were there. They kept going for the nuts, bread and fatballs. Yesterday our local Jay (only ever seen one at any time) found them and appeared to eat all three tub-fulls! We assumed he was being greedy until today, when there were five all sat on our fence! The two adults were feeding the three chicks with bread from the lawn, taking it up to them in small pieces and gently passing it to them. Yesterday it may have been the two parents eating the waxworms, but I don't know if they would have re-gurgatated them for the youngsters.

I know Jays are notoriously shy so I was amazed to see 5 of them seemingly so relaxed.

I have a related question, if anyone can help...
We've had about a third of our trees fall down in the Spring storms, I saw a Sparrowhawk on our fence for the first time in the Winter, there are more cats than ever on our road and Jays (I believe) eat the eggs of other birds. We don't get as many tits as we used to and hardly get any finches whereas last year we had loads. Which of the above factors is likely to be the reason? If I know I might be able to do something about it.
Thanks.

We have a resident Sparrowhawk which im convinced scares the birds away. Some times you dont see a single 1. I saw the Hawk last week chasing down a bird, as it flew over the house i lost sight of it, but when id run out the back, every bird, be it, pigeon starling whatever went totally scatty and fled the seen. They were literally going in all directions to escape, could be the reason we've had so much trouble getting birds to our tables. Mick

PS, im sure the loss of their Trees hasnt helped too much though. Only so many Birds can adorn a single Tree. And some years does see the 'natural' decline of certain species, so this might just be coincedence.

I don't suppose there's much I can do if the Sparrowhawk's to blame. There are new trees growing and I can put birdboxes up though.

I put out some live waxworms about a week ago. Half had died because none of the birds seemed to know they were there. They kept going for the nuts, bread and fatballs. Yesterday our local Jay (only ever seen one at any time) found them and appeared to eat all three tub-fulls! We assumed he was being greedy until today, when there were five all sat on our fence! The two adults were feeding the three chicks with bread from the lawn, taking it up to them in small pieces and gently passing it to them. Yesterday it may have been the two parents eating the waxworms, but I don't know if they would have re-gurgatated them for the youngsters.

I know Jays are notoriously shy so I was amazed to see 5 of them seemingly so relaxed.

I have a related question, if anyone can help...
We've had about a third of our trees fall down in the Spring storms, I saw a Sparrowhawk on our fence for the first time in the Winter, there are more cats than ever on our road and Jays (I believe) eat the eggs of other birds. We don't get as many tits as we used to and hardly get any finches whereas last year we had loads. Which of the above factors is likely to be the reason? If I know I might be able to do something about it.
Thanks.

Hi 2520
I have up to 5 Jays in and out of the garden all day long from March till September, I also have the Sparrow Hawk in at least once a day and it doesn't seem to bother the birds that much. They dissapear for 5 mins when the Hawk is about but still feed on the other tables and feeders when the Jays are about.

As for the cat, we get a black and white one in quite a lot and the birds are away untill they are sure the cats gone. I'd like to shoot the cat but I havent got the nerve or the gun so I make do with a catapault but I always miss.

Hi 2520
I'd like to shoot the cat but I havent got the nerve or the gun so I make do with a catapault but I always miss.

Please don't do that. I am a birder but also have 2 cats, much loved family pets. Use a waterpistol, harmless and does the job.

Please don't do that. I am a birder but also have 2 cats, much loved family pets. Use a waterpistol, harmless and does the job.

No-it doesn't! A short whole ago I saw a Bull Finch on the fence-whap!! next door's cat had it. Today I had 3 cats in my garden-a while ago I had 5 in-every day I have a least 3-5 in. all the neighbours have them but will they put bells on ??-give me a machine gun over a water pistol any day.

In answer to 2420-Jays seem to favour 'lower class' neighbour hoods-thats why we don't get them in Orford.

My personal cat control method is the bucket of water, only effective at close range but if maneuver is executed correctly the results are very satisfying.

I feel I have to add that I would personally love to have a cat, only I'm frightened of what it may bring in dead. If it was a bird I'd never seen before I'd be mortified!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back