• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bearded Seal Orkney (1 Viewer)

There a thread on the Scotland board where i have put a couple of snaps. Here is another tho just for you John.;)

Attachments

• IMG_0840.JPG
    IMG_0840.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 146
There a thread on the Scotland board where i have put a couple of snaps. Here is another tho just for you John.;)

Dafi,

how is it looking, read somewhere it looks ill?

Can you please post an update tomorrow as I am looking at coming up at the weekend to see it.

Thanks

Mark

I spoke to the fella from Orkney seal rescue there and he thought it looked in good condition. It has a good coat and was fat enough looking. There are slight signs of red on the whiskers in a couple of shots but nothing that looks that concerning, probably dribbling velvet crab!

Cheers Tim, hope it sticks around, I can't go this weekend but next.....

BTW its obviously not the Shetland animal!

Good luck Mark.

BTW (II) here's why I can be relaxed about it! O sunny Hartlepool...

John

Attachments

• beardedseal.jpg
    beardedseal.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
I twitched the Hartlepool, in the nineties, I think we we were the only ones there. We ended up on the local news as they couldn't believe anyone would travel from Ipswich to see a seal. Absolutely superb, one of the most enjoyable twitches I've ever done.

I twitched the Hartlepool, in the nineties, I think we we were the only ones there.

I twitched the one on Shetland in 1987 whilst dipping Brunnich's Guillemot - we were the only ones there! When is someone going to find a twitchable Hooded or Ribbon?

BTW anyone not resident in Shetland got [B]5[/B] pinnipeds on their UK list?

a

I twitched the one on Shetland in 1987 whilst dipping Brunnich's Guillemot - we were the only ones there! When is someone going to find a twitchable Hooded or Ribbon?

BTW anyone not resident in Shetland got [B]5[/B] pinnipeds on their UK list?

a

As long as you'll let me have Steller's Sealion!

I was on Shetland earlier for the Harlequin so I missed Bearded Seal but got Harp Seal, so:

Steller's Sealion The Brisons, Cape Cornwall, several dates

Grey Seal

Common Seal

Harp Seal Shetland, Mainland, 31 Jan 1987

Bearded Seal Hartlepool, can't remember date.

John

As long as you'll let me have Steller's Sealion!

I was on Shetland earlier for the Harlequin so I missed Bearded Seal but got Harp Seal, so:

Steller's Sealion The Brisons, Cape Cornwall, several dates

Grey Seal

Common Seal

Harp Seal Shetland, Mainland, 31 Jan 1987

Bearded Seal Hartlepool, can't remember date.

John

So you're maybe twitching Shetland for a year tick? That's dedication or madness. There's a fine line ;)

I have just got back from a spy about Finstown but failed to find it.

Its fairly high water and theres not a lot hauled out at the moment.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back