• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Humpback , Norfolk (1 Viewer)

The humpbacked whale was viewable distantly, through a telescope, from of the dunes off the end of Sea Palling Beach Road this afternoon.
Drifted south towards Waxham, an alternative viewpoint, with a tell-tale flock of gannets above it.

Two pom skuas south and three eider (two drakes) north.
Many common scoter offshore, with small flocks of starlings regularly coming in off the sea.

Pink-footed geese in fields north of Sea Palling.

And for those travelling from further, thee's always Stubb Mill with its Cranes and Marsh Harriers once you've nailed the whale.

Best of luck to those going, I reckon you may be on for a good day out.

John

And for those travelling from further, thee's always Stubb Mill with its Cranes and Marsh Harriers once you've nailed the whale.

Best of luck to those going, I reckon you may be on for a good day out.

John

Going tomorrow on news but will have the missus and 2 yr old in tow! Will be windy but choppy waters shouldn't make too much difference with a big whale.

Going tomorrow on news but will have the missus and 2 yr old in tow! Will be windy but choppy waters shouldn't make too much difference with a big whale.

When are you gonna learn? Get on the road early and reckon on a good day out even if its not there. I missed the whale on my first attempt by trying to finesse it.

Going on news flying to Shetland is one thing. Doing it for a Humpback down the road is ridiculous.

John

When are you gonna learn? Get on the road early and reckon on a good day out even if its not there. I missed the whale on my first attempt by trying to finesse it.

Going on news flying to Shetland is one thing. Doing it for a Humpback down the road is ridiculous.

John

I don't need it John otherwise yes, that's how I'd play it, but as it is I can afford to be more relaxed. If it was a fin I'd be camped up there! Two more words:
family commitment.
I try to maximise my chances of success and spend as little times as poss away from the family and I know I'll throw in the towel if I miss it first go. Had it have been summer with my wife not bogged down with a cold and we might have all gone for a day out at the seaside.
Your perspective would be different if you had a toddler to look after!

I don't need it John otherwise yes, that's how I'd play it, but as it is I can afford to be more relaxed. If it was a fin I'd be camped up there! Two more words:
family commitment.
I try to maximise my chances of success and spend as little times as poss away from the family and I know I'll throw in the towel if I miss it first go. Had it have been summer with my wife not bogged down with a cold and we might have all gone for a day out at the seaside.
Your perspective would be different if you had a toddler to look after!

It's often forgot by the go for it whatever school that the choice is not go for it or sit on your arse doing nothing but go for it or do one of the other important things in life.

I do beg James's pardon, if its not a lifer then obviously different standards apply. Mind you, with news not reaching RBA till after midday I'd be interested to hear what his decison was - I'd have been inclined to bin it and do something else well before then.

I also accept completely that my perspective would be different if I had a toddler to look after - which is why I haven't: I'm far too deep into wildlife to limit myself in that way. Its bad enough being limited by work and salary!

John

I do beg James's pardon, if its not a lifer then obviously different standards apply. Mind you, with news not reaching RBA till after midday I'd be interested to hear what his decison was - I'd have been inclined to bin it and do something else well before then.

I also accept completely that my perspective would be different if I had a toddler to look after - which is why I haven't: I'm far too deep into wildlife to limit myself in that way. Its bad enough being limited by work and salary!

John

News came out right at my cut off point and I went. Ho hum, can't win 'em all. TBH I wouldn't have been satisfied with the views earlier in the day (distant, and they only got the blow, so they saw...water).
I haven't missed much with my extra responsibilities, it just makes it all a bit more difficult!

News came out right at my cut off point and I went. Ho hum, can't win 'em all. TBH I wouldn't have been satisfied with the views earlier in the day (distant, and they only got the blow, so they saw...water).
I haven't missed much with my extra responsibilities, it just makes it all a bit more difficult!

Yes, that's a bit like seeing a molehill slowly reshaping itself..... close, but no cigar. Bad luck matey, still its hanging about longer than I thought it might. Maybe Christmas Day, roads are nice and empty!

John

For Sundays ‘whalers’ the sea conditions were a so disappointing. We walked up the dunes to see such choppy conditions with more than a scattering of ‘white horses’, and it took till midday for it to start calming down. Chaps did really well to find the whale at all.

Let’s hope people keep looking and it remains in the area. I think we need high pressure to calm the sea surface. Let’s hope we get another chance. Phil

Certainly popular:

Attachments

• Whalers.JPG
    Whalers.JPG
    342.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Forecast for the next few days:

Thursday NW 17mph (gusts 30)
Friday N 12mph
Saturday W 8mph
Sunday W 6mph

So the wind speed for the weekend is similar to today. Perhaps another Sunday trip if it is reported Saturday??

Phil

BY9V1KGCAAIK6Ry.jpg:large

taken by local fisherman Andrew Williamson today looking back to shore

I'm assuming from the lack of updates that the whale has moved on. We've had familial responsibilities for the last two weekends but have a couple of free days and a 1st northern hemisphere Humpback would have been nice.

Thanks all. I won't rule it out but with BBC saying 16 mph winds from the north for Cromer and 4 mph easterlies for Llandudno I might take the easy option and hope it/they hang around a bit longer. Surf Scoters don't quite beat Humpback Whales but they're only a couple of hours away.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back