• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Humpback Whale off Newburgh, Aberdeenshire (1 Viewer)

It is still putting in appearances but mostly much further offshore.
Low tide for closer views at Newburgh seem to be best. (approx 18.00 today)

I finally got to see the Humpback today. It appeared not long after low tide (but definitely with the incoming tide).
It was just cruising up and down about a mile off the Ythan estuary. This was at about 12.30.
I've just heard that it is breaching offshore this evening (which it has done for the past couple of days)
It looks like evening is best but I guess the state of the tide might affect that.

Attachments

• Marcia-16 (Large).jpg
    Marcia-16 (Large).jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 268
I finally got to see the Humpback today. It appeared not long after low tide (but definitely with the incoming tide).
It was just cruising up and down about a mile off the Ythan estuary. This was at about 12.30.
I've just heard that it is breaching offshore this evening (which it has done for the past couple of days)
It looks like evening is best but I guess the state of the tide might affect that.

Any further news on its progress, please? My son & his partner are staying Nethybridge and are wondering if it's worth making the journey to Aberdeenshire today/tomorrow

Thanks
Sandra

There have been no sightings for two days as far as I know but the weather has not been good with very strong winds. There have been no reports of it today (it is still breezy).

The good news is that it is still around. Seen from Newburgh between 13.20 and 15.15 today.
Worth a shot? Who knows.

The good news is that it is still around. Seen from Newburgh between 13.20 and 15.15 today.
Worth a shot? Who knows.

Thanks for those helpful replies TWM. Will pass on to my son - tho he doesn't seem to be able to get any sort of signal where he is in Abernethy Forest!

It was showing well (lunge feeding) about a mile south of the Ythan estuary at 11.30 this morning. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back