• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2019 (2 Viewers)

1. Robin
  2. Carrion crow
  3. Magpie
  4. Jackdaw
  5. Rook
  6. Wood pigeon
  7. Collared dove
  8. Blue tit
  9. Great tit
  10. Coal tit
  11. House sparrow
  12. Black-headed gull
  13. Blackbird
  14. Dunnock
  15. Starling
  16. Long-tailed tit
  17. Song thrush
  18. Goldfinch
  19. Bohemian waxwing
  20. Red kite
  21. Pied wagtail
  22. Pheasant
  23. Wren

Last edited:
After a week of me not being home much and there being very few birds to begin with, I managed two new ones today.

21. American Robin (f)

22. Sharp-shinned Hawk

We are supposed to get some crazy weather over the weekend. I will be waiting for the Fox Sparrow(s) that usually come to the feeders after a storm.

23. House Sparrow

More of a "list padder" than a bird to enjoy...

I had a chickadee briefly that may have been Black-capped, but I never got enough on it to say for sure.

And one more, with a brief visit from a

24. Downy Woodpecker

Also, American Robin is no longer a flyover.

Another one got away this afternoon, a hawk that flew over when I was outside without binoculars. I suspect Red-shouldered, but somehow I couldn't rule out the largest Accipiter...!

Since many birds didn't scatter, I will assume RS Hawk but it isn't official, unfortunately.

Loadsa snow! And forecasts of minus 15 or so for much of the next week or two. So plenty of action among the resident woodpeckers et al, but only one addition, a Common Buzzard flying over.

17. Common Buzzard

Another today:-
29 Wren 20 Jan 2019

Now 16/29 photographed.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Little Egret 003.JPG
    Little Egret 003.JPG
    500.7 KB · Views: 38
  • B Peregrine 001.jpg
    B Peregrine 001.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 31
  • B House Sparrow 001.jpg
    B House Sparrow 001.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 32
  • B Great Tit 002.jpg
    B Great Tit 002.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 29
  • B Herring Gull 002.jpg
    B Herring Gull 002.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 23
Load more snow, got my car stuck in a drift this morning ...one hour wasted getting it free! Then needed to trudge a kilometre to my feeders. But nice rewards , plenty of woodpeckers - 4 to 5 on the feeders at a time, one new (unringed) Middle Spotted Woodpecker with them, two White-backs, three Grey-headed, etc.

Load more snow, got my car stuck in a drift this morning ...one hour wasted getting it free! Then needed to trudge a kilometre to my feeders. But nice rewards , plenty of woodpeckers - 4 to 5 on the feeders at a time, one new (unringed) Middle Spotted Woodpecker with them, two White-backs, three Grey-headed, etc.

Excellent birds!

26. Lesser black backed gull
27. Sparrowhawk - couldn’t tell the sex but it was doing its trademark flap-flap-glide.

Edit: 28. Grey heron, flew over about 3 minutes ago, presumably to one of the neighbour’s ponds for a fish supper.

Last edited:
Hooray. A brief visit from 5 Common Redpolls this afternoon, last seen in the garden in April 2016. This is one of the species that I thought might just turn up in late 2019, as I'd seen them around the area. Although as ever, with them only being here for a few minutes before being spooked, who knows how many times they've snuck in when I wasn't looking!
Takes me to 11.

Last weekend I got (at least) one new species:

#12. Blackbird

Also when I came home at Sunday evening I noticed that Jackdaw was taken off all his (or hers) clothes - feathers all over the yard. :eek!: Or maybe... just maybe - the yard had visited Goshawk or even Eagle Owl... Probably you don't let me take a tick for that... o:D

Famine finally broken.....bemoaning my 14% of species (6), down on same time last year! At the darkest point in the battleship grey gloom, small bird Coal Tit size, zapped into my large conifer tree before angling off into my neighbour’s oak (looked brownish?), then it moused around the tree trunk...Treeper! only my 2nd garden visit in 36 years, quite incredible really....with the house backing onto six thousand acres of broadleaved woodland! no.43.

One addition today with

25. Common Grackle (f)

Likely wintering locals as opposed to early migrants.

Several flocks of unidentified ducks at dusk were disappointing, but provided hope for better looks in the future. I highly suspect two were Mallards, but no guesses on the others.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back