• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mammals seen while birding (1 Viewer)

Jos Stratford said:
Up here in LT, what have I bumped into this year? Foxes are more or less diurnal and there is one particular meadow where I can expect up to four or five per day, often Roe Deer in the same meadow. On my land, had a nice couple of Racoon Dogs wandering down to my new pools earlier in the year and have one MASSIVE beaver lodge in the flood forest, not that I've seen more than the splash of one of their tails and a rapidly disappearing shape in the water. Had a few Wild Boar piglets hurtling off at great speed, along with a rather narked Mrs Pig too! Been quite a while since I've seen an Elk - last in LT was late last autumn, though a few in Poland since (and plenty of tracks across my land). One Pine Martin some time ago and have a cute little mouse of some unknown species under my sunflower feeder every day!

Still dream about the wolves that inhabit the forests and fancy that a bear might one day come a'wandering through my feeding station ...but now we really are talking dreams!

Forgive my ignorance, Jos (we don't have Wild Boars in Ireland) but was that not a wee bit scary?
All I see are Rabbits, Hares and Squirrels, usually.

My mammal list is pretty sparse... so I choose not to restrict it only to those seen whilst birding.

From memory,

Rabbit,
Hare,
Red Deer,
Roe Deer,
Mouse sp.,
Bank Vole,
Water Vole,
Hedgehog (incl 5 in garden),
Stoat,
Grey Squirrel,
Red Squirrel (not UK),
Pine Marten,
Dolphin sp.,
Rat,
Mole,
...and I think that's it.

I've seen 11 dead badgers, but never yet seen one alive :-C

Here's a bit of leisure relating to this thread...

Attachments

• Native British Mammals.doc
    27.5 KB · Views: 244
I remember my first Harbour Porpoise which came up in the the same scope view as my first White-billed Diver off Cley beach a few years back.....which was nice!

Phil

Birds and Fryderyk Chopin

Hallo Jurek,

instead of mammels I saw Fryderyk Chopin during birdwatching.
But it was unusual birdwatching on sailing trip on Hendrika Bartelds ( Netherlands ) at Hansesail.

Best regards
Dieter

Attachments

• DSC00943.JPG
    DSC00943.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC00950.JPG
    DSC00950.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 144
Sailing

Sailing is a very relaxed and enviroment friendly style of birdwatching.
In NZ, in Fjordland NP, I went by sailing boat. But it more changed to an engine boat. Only sailing boat for nice looking.
During this trip I we saw dolphins just in the frontwave, few centimeters away from the boat. Seals and yellow crested penguins, we saw also.

Yes, if there is no wind, no sailing! Our captain said that dolphins are only interested in fast moving boats when they can ride on the frontwave.

As I grew up in Kenya, and started birding there, my mammals list covers everything from Shrew to Elephant:). Less mammals here in Vietnam, but have seen Barking Deer, all kinds of squirrels (including Giant), and a few monkeys and Gibbons.

Vietnam

Hallo Hanno,

in Vietnam I was not specially for birdwatching.
In Cuc Phuong NP ( sout east of Hanoi ), I saw Pteromyinae in the evening and some beetle which make light. Very interesting is the vegetation.
Also interesting is Halang Bay ( maybe the most beautiful bay in the world ? ).
http://www.catbalangur.org/the_langur.htm

But monkeys I did not saw.
I saw a report about a national parc in the south, not far from Saigon. This must be very interesting. Even Rhinos could be found there.
Strenght for me they detect new kind of deers not long time ago.
Buy the way, Vietnam is easy to travel. Someone told me, Lonely Planet said,it has the second lowest crime rate in Asian - Pacific area ( lowest is Singapore ).

Best regards
Dieter

Sunday I saw a badger - for Brits: it is not common in Germany.

It was quite a funny adventure. I went to a small lake near Berlin, decided to go around it in the forest at the evening... and found a motorway which was not there one hour before. Shortly, I got lost in a most stupid place. I stopped a 'jaeger' to ask for directions (I did not even remember the name of village!) and he kindly offered me a lift. And we saw a badger crossing the road. :)

Hi Dieter,

The best National Park for animal watchin in Vietnam is Cat Tien, north of Sai Gon. However, forget about seeing the Rhinos because a) they are in a part of the park that is not accessible and b) even some of the researchers working with them have never seen them.

Monkeys are difficult to see as there is a lot of hunting pressure. Cat Ba island in the Ha Long Bay holds an endemic species, but I have never seen it.

Viet Nam is certainly safe, but not good for animal watching:-(

Mammals -- and reptiles

When we lived in the San Francisco area, I often used to see coyotes while on birding trips around Mount Diablo.

Since moving to Texas, I've seen few mammals. Last year, a bobcat crossed the road in front of our car at Brazoria National Wildlife Refuge. A few weeks ago, I saw a coyote at the same site. More exciting that day, though, was a very large cottonmouth snake: 4 feet long and as thick as my forearm. I also enjoyed watching several Common Moorhen feeding unconcernedly around a mid-sized alligator.

Four years ago, in the Everglades Park, I was so busy watching a Cooper's Hawk that I literally nearly stepped on a 6-foot alligator.

Birders' nightmare! Taken whilst birding with a small group in a private nature reserve at Hoedspruit (close to Kruger National Park). Had to discard my pants! The question was - where is the rest of the pride? Bird species listed before this sighting = 15. Bird species listed after this sighting = zero.

Attachments

• Birders nightmare Hoedspruit.JPG
    Birders nightmare Hoedspruit.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 162
frecklezgecko said:
I remember my first Harbour Porpoise which came up in the the same scope view as my first White-billed Diver off Cley beach a few years back.....which was nice!

Phil

I''m sort of the other way round I sw my first eagle and my most recent ospreys whilst diving with dolphins (sadly no pics of the birds)
21095369_a4a1eb693b_m.jpg

21095370_85fb5ba9eb_m.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back