• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Craig Y Cilau NNR (1 Viewer)

mike from ebbw

this is an excellent reserve that i have been visiting for over 25 years.it is a mixture of limestone crags,raised bog and broadleaf woodland.there is a wide variety of mountain and woodland birds including,peregrine,sparrowhawk,red kite,tawney owl,ring ousel,all 3 woodpeckers,stonechat,whinchat,wheater,pied and spotted flycatcher,raven and all other commoner species.for mammal lovers i have seen stoat,badger,mink,rabbit,grey squirrel,fox and hare.it is also home to the lesser whitebeam tree.it is not a very big reserve and is easy to get to.from Llangynidr take the road to Beaufort.after about two miles you will cross a cattle grid.there is a layby on the right hand side of the cattle grid,park here.opposite the layby there is a track.go up here and after about 200 meters there is a footpath going off to the right.follow this and it will take you to the heart of the reserve.enjoy,it is a fantastic place.

Hi Mike

My husband and I have done this walk many times both in summer and winter. As you say it's a lovely reserve and one we thoroughly enjoy.

Jo

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back