• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Fungus ID? (1 Viewer)

oldgiteggy

A Valley Birder
Found this growing from an old scotts pine stump, in mixed woodland, next to our garden. The biggest is 10cm tall and 10cm round, it has a bright orange colour and it all appeared in a couple of days. I can't find it in any ID website, so good luck.;)

Attachments

• Fungi 11 (Medium).JPG
    Fungi 11 (Medium).JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Fungi 27 (Medium).JPG
    Fungi 27 (Medium).JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 106
Good photos and information Steve - including the size, substrate, views of the cap, the gills and the apparent volva around the base!
A good shout also with the Tawny Grisette although, as you say it doesn't entirely fit the bill, Rozinante, and this Amanita usually has distinct grooved margins to the cap.

The photos show a lovely rich yellow - golden brown colour to the caps and striated stem with a few of the caps umbonate (having a central "Bump") and, in the first photograph, one with slightly upturned edges.
At this point a lot of the fungi identification keys will point you towards species like Amanita or Volvariella or Cortinarius spp. FOR EXAMPLE, where the primary indicator is the presence of gills and will then recommend looking at such things as "sliminess" or the colour of the spores (Group A. white, cream or yellow; Group B. pink; Group C. Ochre to Brown and Group D. Purple to Black) - something to investigate perhaps Steve?
My own guess would be an Aminita or one of the Cortinarius spp. ??? :h?:

I doubt it is an Amanita as it appears to be growing on wood whereas Amanita are (I think) all mychorrizal and hence grow on soil. Some Volvariella do grow on wood, V. bombycina being one example, but it does not match any that I know.

A similar one is Gymnopilus junonius but the apparent volva would rule out that one and although it resembles a Cortinarius they do not have volvas either.

Nice fungi though. Any chance of more detailed photos? Any smell? colour changes? Spore print?

Thinking about this a bit more, I suspect several of us are getting thrown by an apparent volva, which may in fact be no more than a ring. On most specimens there is a clear ring, and only on two do we see a volva like structure. In those cases I suspect it is a trick of the light which fools is into thinking there is a volva. After all why would only a few specimens display a volva?

This could well be G. junonius given that the general colour, shape, size and habitat match and it is common. Although it usually grows on hardwoods it has apparently been seen on conifers.

An alternative could be a Pholiota of some description.

oldgiteggy: Maybe you can check since it is next to your garden?

Attachments

• Fungi 19 (Medium).JPG
    Fungi 19 (Medium).JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Fungi 20 (Medium).JPG
    Fungi 20 (Medium).JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2054 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2054 (Medium).JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back