• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barn Owl near Winterton (1 Viewer)

They have been reliable at Stubb Mill (a short walk from Hickling NWT) recently. I suspect there are plenty between Horsey and Winterton, but I don't venture that way too often.

Hope this helps,
Louis

Note - people may be reluctant to give loads of information to prevent disturbance to breeding pairs.

Hi visiting Winterton area in April anyone know of any good spots to photograph Barn Owls - thanks in advance
'

Hi Andy ; I did originally post this inside your 'welcome' thread...

However, I feel it would be more appropriate, in here.

I'll now re-post it (here) & delete the one I'd originally written on your welcome thread.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Jammo',

I've been around Winterton many a time in the past (mainly 1980's & 1990's)

Last time I was there, was in 2016 - plus I do know the surrounding areas quite well.

The B.1159 is a SUPERB road to trawl & I've seen countless Owls and Buzzards in my times along there.

That 2016 visit, I was riding my Kawasaki (slowly !) & just kept pulling over to observe....

I found the stretch by 'HORSEY CORNER' to be particularly good (esp' one-hour before dusk !)

As you leave Winterton, heading initially West (briefly), then, heading NORTH...along the B.1159...

You'll see the hamlets of East Somerton & West Somerton.

As you head North on the Horsey Road, there is Martham Broad nature reserve on your left.

Keep heading North, just past Horsey, then briefly towards Horsey Corner & Horsey Gap.

It's at Horsey Corner that I personally had all of my best sightings along that stretch.

BTW ; If you DO head still further North (along B.1159), there's yet another reserve.

This one is the Calthorpe Broad National Nature reserve just past Sea Palling & Waxham.

BTW ; There is also a very nice li'l waterside "stop", beside "Horsey Windpump".

(I used to ALWAYS stop there, coz by then, I was always "saddle-sore" )

In MY view, that B.1159 stretch, is a little "Gem" (Horsey thru Waxham & Sea Palling)

Lastly, Winterton "is" one of THE most blustery places I know, so, good luck.

(the church is superb & tall, if desolate looking)

Good luck with the B.1159 in general, it's a peach !

P.S ; Try Horsey Corner, like I did, about 90-mins, to an hour before dusk & be patient & still - you should be rewarded.

'

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back