• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Montevideo, Uruguay (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
I'll be in Montevideo, Uruguay for a few days in early January for a family event. So don't have much time for birding (which I plan before and after in Argentina, however). Nevertheless, I might find some time to look for birds anyway. Are there any interesting birding places to visit in or near the city? Wheatley "Where to watch ..." is of no help in this case.

We do have a member Thomas Field who comes from Chile who states in his hello write up that he has been birding in Uruguay. Might be worth a PM to him.

Marmot said:
We do have a member Thomas Field who comes from Chile who states in his hello write up that he has been birding in Uruguay. Might be worth a PM to him.

Thanks, Marmot. I'll check into that. Judging from the lack of more replies, Montevideo clearly is not a hotspot. Which, of course, I had assumed. But being new to the area nevertheless should provide some interesting species. Sure hope there will be more than the usual European imports like house sparrow, starling and rock dove.

Anybody Know About Birding in Uruguay?

I'm dismayed to see there are no sub-groups in the South America section, covering Uruguay. This is because in under two weeks time I'm off for a (mainly birding) three week tour of this country starting in Montevideo and then going to Punta del Este (and the Isla de Lobos), then on to Guardia del Monte and Cabo Polonio and Valisas and maybe the Brazilian border at Chuy. Then cutting inland to Villa Serrano. We then go up to Paso de los Toros and stay at an estancia called Las Canadas up near Tacuarembo then on to Guichon and the Almiron Hot Springs before arriving at Fray Bentos. The final leg from Fray Bentos back to Montevideo could include a stop at Colonia de Sacramento.

There are only a couple of trip reports to go on and nothing is recent. Can anyone help me? This is my first time in the south of this continent. Looking at the trip reports and the standard book by Pena, I am expecting to add 150 birds to my life list in 3 weeks. Is that realistic? Can anyone offer any first hand experience of Uruguay? Maybe I should be adding as much info to the forum as I can upon my return as (I am reliably informed), this is an excellent place for birds. Even the name Uruguay means "river of colourful birds!

Garrulous Jay (Devon UK)

Hi Garrulous Jay ,
It looks like I'm in the same situation as you were in January regarding Uruguayan birding info . I may be in the Montevideo area (based in Jose Ignacio) for a week . Please direct me to any trip report of Uruguay if you have anything constructed . Thankyou ! Stephen

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back