• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TODDLERS who 'go birding' (1 Viewer)

deborah4

Toddlers who 'go birding'

Sometimes they are just priceless aren't they?

Arrived at the local bus stop this afternoon in time for an earnest discussion between a Mum her toddler in his buggy. He'd seen a large bird soaring above Tescos. He's made his call, loudly and definitively, it's a Sea Eagle. His is sure of his ID but Mum wasn't having any of it:

''Seagull'', she was saying as boyo was pointing to the sky above the City Centre.

''See eegle'' he insisted, beginning to pout

''NO ... Not 'sea eagle', Sea Gull ... Seeea Gull''

''See eegle!'' ... ''NOT SEGULL!!'' (he was beginning to raise his voice, bystanders now all peering into sky to spot bird in question, could it be? Was it possible?) ...

any minute now ...

''It's a Sea Gull, love'', we have to go to Tailand to see Sea Eagles'' ... (surely Scotland would be nearer?) her patience is wearing thin, she knows her birds and isn't going to be told any different.

He stamps his feet on the buggy step, demonstrates widely, splutters and shouts ''SEEEEE EEAGLE''

here it comes ...

''Look darling, it's NOT a Sea Eagle... it's a Sea Gull ... all this fuss over a BIRD!''

oh dear, that did it ...

''BAWWWWWL ... Sob ... splutter.... BAWWWWWL.... SEE EAGLE, SEA EAGLE, SEA EGUL ...!''

'' I'm not arguing with a 4yr old, it's a Sea Gull and that's final... now stop it at once''

Bus comes and on we get ... Toddler looks round for someone to back up his ID but has difficulty finding the right kind of experts ''STOOPID PEEPLE!'', he starts to scream. Why won't anyone believe him? Unfortunately, no one wants to get involved. They've seen it all before: Stringy Toddlers, type is cast ... several though have out their mobile phones just in case but Mum just smiles and pretends the little monster now kicking her leg belongs to someone else. I assure her, it doesn't get any better when they get older. ;)

[quote deborah4]

Well the enthusiasms there..a birder in the making?

Makes a change from ''daddy,this is really really booooring''

(overheard from the towerhide,strumpshaw fen RSPB)

Keep the passion I say ;)

Matt

Last edited:
Last summer in a hide at Brandon Marsh, mum with two five year olds who took great delight in telling me that there were six penguins on an island. Not wishing to dampen their enthusiasm, I tried to turn the identification towards Cormorant but they would not have it! Still, at least they were there and hopefully will become birders in time.

Kevin

At the risk of serious embarrassment, a large number of years ago, my dad gave me a copy of the Observers Book of Birds. I was about six I think. I still remember spending many hours looking for "nowls" but no joy. I remember my dad telling me he had heard a nowl hooting in the garden the previous evening. I never did find them (but still looking).

Kevin

Sea Eagles are a source of constant argument in our house too. Euan (8) maintains that they are called White-Tailed Sea Eagles because he once heard Bill Oddie call them this. Lizzie (13) maintains that they are called White-Tailed Eagles because that is what Collins says. They find this argument endlessly enjoyable and can keep it up for upwards of 30 minutes at a time. As you can imagine this is quite delightful for the listener.

Hippo said:
Last summer in a hide at Brandon Marsh, mum with two five year olds who took great delight in telling me that there were six penguins on an island. Not wishing to dampen their enthusiasm, I tried to turn the identification towards Cormorant but they would not have it! Still, at least they were there and hopefully will become birders in time.

Kevin

My wife and I were at Fowlmere a couple of weeks ago and she turned around from the sightings board and asked me "Do they really get Penguins here?!".

After looking at the board myself I had to tell her that someone had actually written 'Peregrine'. If she ever reads this she'll cut my feeders down.

whomes said:
My wife and I were at Fowlmere a couple of weeks ago and she turned around from the sightings board and asked me "Do they really get Penguins here?!".

After looking at the board myself I had to tell her that someone had actually written 'Peregrine'. If she ever reads this she'll cut my feeders down.

Sounds very very painful!

Kevin

Wow, I am glad to hear someone else's child refers to gulls as eagles. Although, in our house, you would be skinned alive if you refered to them as 'sea' gulls. There definitely is some confusion there with eagle and gull(sounds and all), but my 4 year old son and I don't argue as intensely about it as in your story, Deborah. I am just happy when he shows an interest in nature. And it makes me ecstatic when he not only spots a bird before me, but also can identify it when I ask him what it is. Of course, this only works with only a few species.

Hi all,

I have a nephew called Sam who is almost 4 years old. He loves steam trains and anything that looks like a tractor. However, lately he has been putting together a nature box. Soon I will be giving him his first book on British birds.

I also have three neices between 5 and 11 and I have already given them a book on birds. I took them for walk with their father from Consal to RSPB Booths wood in the Churnet valley which they loved. They also had an RSPB pin badge each.

I think it's important to get children involved with nature from a very early age.

Dean

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back