• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Other photo of "ceramic" bird (1 Viewer)

Randall

Here is that other photo. The orientation of the bird is different relative to the "nest". Also note the flowering crab in the back ground. Odd for late summer. Looks less red but you can still see it.

Attachments

• picturebird_-.jpg
    picturebird_-.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 387
Hi Randall,

Thanks; it still looks like an escaped cagebird to me, even though the bill appears larger in this photo.

The 'flowering' tree is I think sunlight reflecting off the glossy leaves of a purple-leaf crabapple, I don't think it is actually in flower.

Michael

re 'ceramic'

satrow said:
Evening Greedy (Grosbeak),

First one I saw was in the middle of a forest carpark - thought a child had dropped a plastic Fisher Price toy.

Wonderful!

Andy.

(from the previous thread)

Gives my impression of it's apparent artificiality. The field guides don't seem to do it justice especially if they also come in custom colours!

Andy.

Sorry messed up on that last one. Wanted to suggest that Northern Cardinals molt at times. When the feathers grow back they lack the crest and even sometimes the black mask. Also juvenile cardinals lack the crest and mask when growing into adulthood and the beaks won't be that bright orange either. Just a suggestion.

Here's the two pics together, and enlarged a bit.

A few conclusions:
1. The bird does look real (sorry Spud!)
2. The bird in the second (right-hand, here) pic, the bill looks larger because it has a sunflower (or similar) seed between its mandibles
3. Sorry Larry, no sign of a crossed bill!
4. The white/pale on the secondaries AND primaries is I am pretty certain, real, not an effect of lighting.
5. Compared to the Thuja foliage behind, it look fairly small - House-Finch-size or even American-Goldfinch-size, not Grosbeak-size.

All this still makes me think, escaped hybrid canary.

Michael

Hi Michael,

comparison of size through optical equipment is fraught with danger.
There is apparently an optical illusion when viewing through such aids that further objects appear larger. Recalled from papers/notes in BB early/mid eighties.

Andy.

the stocky bull-neckedness and dark around the head, neck and upper body, along with the fairly stonking bill even with a seed in it still say E.Grosser to me Michael - can't explain the colour other than erythrism (as Charles said).
off to bed G'nite

1. I have never seen a "ceramic" bird eating a sunflower seed.
2. The color of the bird is really different in the two photos.
3. The bill appears "finch-like" in the photo on the right. (Is the photo on the left showing the bird looking straight at us, or away from us?) If the bird is looking away from us, why is the nape very dark here and very light (white) on the photo on the left?
4. To me, it almost looks like two different birds!

I am running out of possible suggestions; will we ever know?

Larry

For NA the only native bird with such a large pale seedeating bill is the Evening Grosbeak. Both pictures show the white secondaries and the second picture also shows the black primaries of that species. I stick to my original guns, but I guess we will never know unless we cry 'Uncle!' and Uncle answers, eh, Randall?

Warms me throat,
Cools me tinnies,
Canadians think wee's all silly's,
That's a stuffed blue parrot ewe silly pucker, well Canadians play ice Hockey don't they? or try too :^D>>> bully one, bully two ..
I didn't know that Cardinals played in the same league?
Waddles orf singing:
Men of Garlick,
Men of Garlick,
Feed me now and Heather Moore,
Heather Moore,
Feeeed me now and Heather Moore.
Ooroo from non-controversial JAG de Whag

In the tiny number of recorded instances of wild birds showing erythrism the result is a bird which appears rather dull rufous rather than bright reddish pink.

I can see no seed in the birds bill. The apparent paleness of the secondaries is mirrored on the nape and suggests reflection off a hard shiny surface to me.

Why would an erythristic Evening Grosbeak show a bright pale submoustachial stripe?

How common are Evening Grosbeaks as garden birds in south Ontario (assuming it was taken there) in early autumn?

Is anybody in N. Am soon to be visiting one of the outlets where ceramic or plastic birds are available for sale? If so could you comment please?

I still think this is a pretty shoddy 'representation' of a Purple Finch-like bird.

Spud

Spud,

I've seen 'em on birdfeeders in June in Algonquin Provincial Park. Quite approachable too. "Evening Greedy" - was the term used by my guide, a very experienced and respected Ontario birder.

Andy.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back