• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Acadia 8x42 (1 Viewer)

Hello all -- new member here, in Pennsylvania, USA. I saw this mentioned before, but continued to be as baffled as the original poster...

I've been researching binoculars for several months, looking for the right pair, and had thought it narrowed down to several -- Monarch 8x42, Vortex Diamondback 8x42, or Eagle Optics Denali (maybe Ranger, if I could work the money out) 8x42. I also was considering the Nikon Trailblazer 8x42 simply b/c of cost, but the lack of phase coating made me seriously hesitate.

Then, one day, as I was sauntering through the Walmart in search of some mundane households supplies, I thought - "Why not? I'll take a look at the binoculars..." - and there they were. I had not even really heard anything about the Acadias -- but as I tried them out I was amazed! As bright and sharp as any of the others I mentioned (maybe more so), with a wider FOV than all except the Vortex. Plus, backed by a company I know will be around...

... as was said before, how are these not spoken of, recommended, or reviewed more often? Hmmm... anyways, away I go the happy owner of new glass.

Best wishes -- Scott

Yes - Vortex is I am sure fine, and will likely be around for quite awhile. I just was amazed at the quality in hand and features for the price (about $190). The Acadia is phase coated; I (like you) noted the lack of mention on their site and eagleoptics, but was pleasant surprised when I opened the box in the store and saw "Phase Coated" on a sticker on the binocs. Another individual mentioned they confirmed this with the company in an earlier forum post. Further, they're fully multicoated... I love the center diopter thing, too.
I'm not trying to sell them, but pleased with my find and thought I'd share.

Best wishes...

There seems to be a trend to "assuming" PC in advertising. We've had quite a few comments here about new bins not mentioning PC though it turns out (of course) they have it if you hunt down the detailed spec (who would make a non-PC roof today?).

I think some of this started at the top end: I think most of the major players don't mention phase coating any more. It's a given. I think the other players seem to be following that line.

The first look I had at an Acadia was at a dealer. I thought they were pretty decent too. I called Leupold and asked about PC. They said they are, they PC all their roofs nowadays.

has anyone tried these Acadia and did they have a problem with the center diopter adjustment?

i've read some user reviews elsewhere complaining about the center diopter adjustment not staying locked?

I have the 8x42 Arcadias and and the 8x42 and 10x42 Cascades. The Arcadias are the 'entry' level roofs and level down from the Cascades. The Arcadias are Phillipino sourced / assembled- the Cascades are Japanese made. The Arcadias do have the diopter adjustment at the back of the central focuser - some like this - others dont. The main compliant really as that it can be knocked out of adjustment easily esp. if you keep in a back back etc. The Cascades have the more traditional and firmer eye piece diopter control. Just be aware of this issue which can be frustrating.
The Arcadias do offer good value for money - they are phase corrected. There are some minor aberrations in the image with curvature of field noted at the periphery. The Cascades are superior optically with a flat fairly distortion free image - but have a narrower FOV. I tend to use my Cascades more due to the superior image - but again you get what you pay for.

Chris

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back