• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moving to SD...Field Guide recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Slickchik

I'm moving in a couple weeks. I'm in Chicago now. I'm trying to figure out the best field guides for my area.

Any suggestions?

I'm a new birder anyway.....I was JUST getting the hang of Illinois birds ...now I have to start all over! :C:C:C

I assume that SD is San Diego (as it's on the California forum; otherwise I was thinking South Dakota! :eek!:).

Sibley's Guide to the Birds of Western North America should be just fine. His eastern guide works for me - although I'm not a new birder most birds in the US are new(ish) to me. I am sure others will come on with the same recommendation, plus maybe one or two others.

David

I've lived in SoCal for 54 years and I don't know what SD is.
I'll assume San Diego for the reasons David mentioned.

Don't call San Francisco "Frisco' either, please.

Get a Sibley's.

I live in Southern California. The Sibley western guide is indispensable. I also like to have the National Geographic Field Guide (I think the newest version is the 5th?), which is better for gulls and other birds with multi-year plumage changes. The two of them should set you back about $30, and for the amount of use you will get is an absolute bargain. Once you get crazy about birds, you will find yourself buying other books, but those two, in my opinion, are the best places to start. Good luck, and good birding!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back