• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jankowski's Bunting (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
BirdLife: Saving Asia’s rarest bunting.

Surely it would help to increase awareness of this Endangered species if BirdLife abandoned the uninspiring name 'Rufous-backed Bunting' and instead adopted the almost universally-used 'Jankowski's Bunting' - as per IOC, H&M3, HBW, China Bird Report, OBC, Voous 1977, Beaman 1994, Byers et al 1995, King 1997, MacKinnon & Phillipps 2000, Brazil 2009...

In fact, I can't remember ever hearing a birder say 'Rufous-backed Bunting'. Even BirdLife's Martin Fowlie used 'Jankowski's' when requesting an image for use in this news item on Oriental Birding yesterday!
Does anyone have a decent image of Jankowski's Bunting that BirdLife International could use alongside a web news story? Full credit would be given. Best wishes Martin

Missed this Richard, and yes totally agree, Jankowski's has an allure about it, never heard anyone calling them Rufous-backed!

An estimated 250!! is a lot higher number than I've heard suggestions from those that visit the area regularly ie JH et.al... I heard that they didn't see more than thirty birds this year, lets hope there are some yet to be discovered pockets.

There seems to be a view amongst some modern day ornithologists that these names should be dispensed with as they are either (i) a link to some western imperial past and / or (ii) do not relevant to local observers. However the extent to which something as bland as "rufous-backed bunting" (or "rufous-rumped warbler"!!) will ever mean anything to anyone is debatable. I note Frank Rheindt's explanation of his preference for using the discoverers names within the English name for the various golden-spectacled warbler species and think this argument has validity more widely.

Jankowski's for me!

cheers, alan

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back