• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

curlew?? (1 Viewer)

spock

I think this is a Curlew,I did get a shot of it,and it was a long way off,about the length of two football pitches,so sorry but the image is not that good,it was on the edge of a field,and just didn't seem it should be there,but I guess it's got to land some where,if any of you know Minsmere,this bird was on the edge of the field where the deer rut was going on,as seen from the road, where the footpath is,and the gateway into a field.
Anyway,it's a big bird,stood very tall,looked just on two feet,and the bill is very, very long, with what looks like a ball/rounded end?
please put me on track....thanks Ian

Attachments

• trim4.jpg
    trim4.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 152
Thanks for the quick reply,I thought it was,but I have not seen one before,didn't think they were that tall,I knew they had a long bill,anyway, thanks again, I had quite a good mornings birding.

I saw my first Curlews (3 together) up on the moors of the peak District

They pop up all over

Brilliant to see them.... I think my fav wader :smoke: or is it a Greenshank

Cant decide now lol

Never been to minsmere, whats it like and what were you seeing?

Our local Audubon Chapter has the Curlew as our mascot, sort of speaking.... a way cool bird with that beak, the flight stretched out so, ...great shot.

Definitely a Curlew and not a bad shot as you suggested. Clearly identifiable from the deacription even without the photo.

Definitely a Curlew and not a bad shot as you suggested. Clearly identifiable from the deacription even without the photo.

I saw my first Curlews (3 together) up on the moors of the peak District

They pop up all over

Brilliant to see them.... I think my fav wader :smoke: or is it a Greenshank

Cant decide now lol

Never been to minsmere, whats it like and what were you seeing?

I like M/m,easy for me to get to,less than one hour drive,there has been a few rare birds,have a look on the rspb webb site:t:.

More than a few rares at Minsmere over the years Spock.
Much my favourite RSPB reserve, sadly not visited often enough for my liking. Might be something to do with the 4 hour drive to get there ;)
During the 90's when my kids were still toddlers we used to go to Southwold for our holidays on a regular basis and I always blagged a day or two at Minsmere. Seen some nice birds there, first bittern, nightingale, red-backed shrike, little stint all at that reserve.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back