• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in and around Cardiff (1 Viewer)

ickle_vicki

I'm a student at cardiff uni but still want to carry on my bird watching.

Does anyone here know of decent areas in and around cardiff to go. At present I just go to Bute Park which is rather good but i'd like to go somewhere new.

Vicki

Hello Vicki, sorry can't help you just wanted to say hello. I know we have several members in Wales so someone will be around shortly to help. You could also try posting your question in the Info. Wanted Forum and then you can be sure someone will see it.

Have fun but beware this site is addictive don't neglect your studies too much.

Ann Chaplin

A CHAPLIN said:
Hello Vicki, sorry can't help you just wanted to say hello. I know we have several members in Wales so someone will be around shortly to help. You could also try posting your question in the Info. Wanted Forum and then you can be sure someone will see it.

Have fun but beware this site is addictive don't neglect your studies too much.

Ann Chaplin

I'm at the other end of Wales and not all that familiar with the Cardiff area, but there are several good sites around the Swansea area, notably Kenfig Pool and Blackpill beach. Also some good sites around Newport (the Gwent Levels).

"Where to Watch Birds in Wales" by David Saunders is useful.

Hi vicki im over at U.W.I.C uni in cardiff. Not from Cardiff tho but have found a couple of good places, cardiff wetlands is ok its in cardiff bay near techniquest last time i went there were kingfishers, grey wag, stonechat, yellow legged gull etc. The Rhmney estuary is also meant to be pretty good. If your into woodland birds Llandaff cemetry and nearby Taff river are good often a Goosander or two on there and the cemetry has the usual species, I bumped into a Yellow Browed Warbler there in Oct. If you can get to the Gwent Wetlands near Newport it is very good there the newly created Uskmouth nr has Hen harrier, Bittern and lots of Ducks in Winter.

HI,Vicki
Nice to hear your in lovely CARDIFF, I was born in Bridgend 1950 moved to
South Australia 1970 went back in 74 and have not been back since but
some of my old friends tell me there are parks around the pen-y-fai area,
Pencoed & beautiful Coychurch,
good luck and good hunting
Steve.

Hi Vicki,
Try Roath Park Lake, Cosmeston Lakes (Penarth), and The Glamorganshire Canal Local Nature Reserve at Radyr for starters.
If you ever venture to Swansea, Blackpill - and indeed all of Swansea Bay - is good for Gulls, Waders etc. Try the south Gower between Three Cliffs Bay and Oxwich for Peregrines and Choughs.
Let me know if you want to know any more!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back