• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 883 v Swaro ATX 95 (1 Viewer)

Hi,

nowadays that both brands have an extender option, it's mainly a matter of taste with the focus drive and of course sample variation...

Joachim

I agree with Joachim. You may find one more natural and comfortable to use than the other, so you really should try both for yourself. If you see a unit that you really like try to buy that particular one.

Optically, between these two models sample variation will be more important than design differences. However, there is one area where all 883 specimens will be superior to all ATX-95 specimens and that is correction of longitudinal chromatic aberration. There is also one area where all ATX-95 specimens will be superior to all 883s and that is image brightness and color accuracy.

Alan,

You should compare the Kowa to the X85 and not the X95.
The X95 has more light and higher mags range .
First you have to decide which mags range you want/need!
Kimmo have compared the X85 to the Kowa 88, here at BF.
I'm a very happy user of a X95 with the 1.7x extender. You can see my preferences at http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescopes.htm

Both are superb, we own both and often have them side-by-side. Virtually indistinguishable visual differences.

The best VALUE is the Kowa 883. By far.

Jay

As Jay mentioned, my decision came down to what I believed was the better value in the long run. I recently got the Kowa 883 and could not be more satisfied. I looked at what I wanted to do with it now and moving forward, and knew that adding the cost of an extender, a digidapter, and a new tripod had to be factored in. You really can't go wrong with either one |:d| .

Also, depends what you're planning to do with it. The Swarovski 95mm is considerably heavier than the 883 which will make a difference when carrying it (+ suitable tripod and head) all day.

No, the Fluorite crystal used the 883 corrects longitudinal chromatic aberration better than the unspecified ED glass used in the ATX-95.

I recently bought a Kowa 883 and the difference at 60x is significant, looking at a pair of drake Surf Scoters at some distance (half a mile) the view was outstanding! the white napes foreheads, and orange bills where so clear in a mixed flock of sea duck. A solid tripod is a must though, I upgraded to a aluminium Manfrotto 055 at the same time, and it makes a real difference to stability. My only regret is not buying one earlier.

This might be relevant, when balancing the two scopes, and perhaps should be borne in mind.
I have an 883, and have only looked through others' ATX's and i think optically they are very close and there will be touches of personal preference in it.
However, i carried someone's ATX for them when they had a shoulder injury, and - with the attendant heavier tripod and head - i certainly felt i wouldn't want to do it over an extended day.
On the other hand, i believe the Kowa's body is magnesium, accounting for the lighter weight. Thus (and unfortunately i know of at least two instances of this) is perhaps more fragile.
In both cases, with angled scopes, a topple backwards (towards the eye piece) resulted in a crack across the shoulder of the scope.
I'd still go 883 every time - it is a seriously fantastic piece of kit - but just be careful! I've got an older ATS 65HD which has been toppled several times onto a range of surfaces, and has suffered no ill-effects. If robustness is an issue for you, factor that into the decision....

I compared them several times and the optical differences were very limited with pro and cons as mentioned in other post above. But none of them was decisive. At the end I found out that I struggeld to focus precisely on the Kowa with gloves on during winter. The center wheel of the Swaro was much more comfortable for me. So if you do some test, try do make them under different conditions.

Hi

Which is best? Are there any reliable technical comparisons online.

Thanks

Alan

With both having exceptional optics and mechanics ....for me Swaro is the better choice as its more versatile due to its modular nature ...say a BTX or the 85 objective at a later date .Cloudynights and Binomania both cover it very well :)

Last edited:
With both having exceptional optics and mechanics ....for me Swaro is the better choice as its more versatile due to its modular nature ...say a BTX or the 85 objective B at a later date .Cloudynights and Binomania both cover it very well :)

Agreed. If you are going to use all the Swaro system has to offer than it's the way to go. If you're looking for just a spotter and an eyepiece and not a system then than the Kowa, IMO, would be the superior unit optically and costs less

Agreed. If you are going to use all the Swaro system has to offer than it's the way to go. If you're looking for just a spotter and an eyepiece and not a system then than the Kowa, IMO, would be the superior unit optically and costs less

Very true....The Kowa package is cute...compact..solid value for money and has a one very special advantage over the Swaro ..it allows 1.25 astro eyepeices ..a very compact 1.6x extender.....no wonder its still going so strong even after a decade.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back