• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulls in the USA (1 Viewer)

Victor Soares

While I have been to the USA a few times I have never really done any proper birding and as such have pretty much ignored all the gulls.

However, I recently returned from Wisconsin and Chicago and had a chance to see and photograph some gulls. Could you please help with ID on these please:

I am thinking that there is at least three gulls here - Herring, Ring-billed and Bonaparte's but would please ask that you let me know things like, 1st summer, 1st winter, juvenile, etc. Here's what I think but am probably totally wrong, but here is my guess:
#1 - Ring-billed (1st S or 1st W) ?
#2 - Bonaparte's (most adults but some juveniles) ?
#3 - Herring (juvenile or 1st/2nd S)
#4 - Ring-billed or Herring?
#5 - Ring-billed or Herring? or other gulls ?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Gulls 01.jpg
    Gulls 01.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Gulls 02.jpg
    Gulls 02.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Gulls 03.jpg
    Gulls 03.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Gulls 04.jpg
    Gulls 04.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Gulls 05.jpg
    Gulls 05.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 47
Hi Victor,

1 - Ring-billed Gull - 1st winter
2 - Bonaparte's Gulls
3 - Herring Gulls - 2nd winter
4 - Ring-billed Gulls - 1st winter
5 - Left is 2nd winter Herring Gull, right is post 1st winter Ring-billed Gull (getting closer to adult plumage). Note the very pink legs, larger size, and larger bill proportions of the Herring Gull.

Cheers,
Conor

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back