Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Hawke DSLR adaptor

Old Wednesday 26th September 2018, 13:18   #1
TheGrumps

Hawke DSLR adaptor

Hi
I've been reading quite a lot of posts here but have not found one that answers my confusion.
I'm looking at the Hawke DSLR adaptor which is simply a device that screws into a Hawke scope and it embodies the eyepiece. There are no additional optical elements. The DSLR, without lens, attaches to the other end of the adaptor. So you have: scope, eyepiece, camera (the adaptor just holds them all tightly together).
Talking to Hawke they say that the normal operation of the scope is unaffected, and just by attaching the camera it will also be in focus.
I was under the impression that this technique is used for digiscoping with a camera and lens. How does a DSLR without lens achieve focus?
My knowledge of optical systems may be letting me down here.
Thanks for any help.
Old Monday 8th October 2018, 19:48   #2
Gronk08

Hi
Basically the scope acts like a manual lens or even a auto lens but in manual focus mode, I have tried it on my old Opticron scope and SLR but found it rather tricky to get the focus just spot on. I have not tried it since on my new Hawke scope but in principle as long as the scope is in focus and that by attaching the SLR you don't alter the position of the scope then Bob's your Uncle as they say.
Hope this helps.
Tim.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: