Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Common Crossbill, association with Coal Tits.

Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 13:21   #1
Chas 100

Common Crossbill, association with Coal Tits.

I have been watching and photographing the Crossbills in my nearby woods at Haldon, Devon UK very successfully at last. It has taken me more than a year to learn what is going on and now I understand what they are doing I am pretty much having quite a lot of success. I had been watching a pool closely and chosen to watch the open clear exposed areas and hadn't realised that the birds were flying in very secretively to an area at the back of the pool which is very protected by overhanging branches, behind lily pads and in fact, they are standing on the pads to drink and bathe. Only once have I seen them in an exposed part of the large pool. They arrive at the tall conifers above the pool and can sit there for up to 15 minutes before they come down to drink, very furtively and all the time being very silent. Then when they leave they will call, I think to keep the small flock together. Quite often they come in pairs, male and female. I have also seen very young birds with beaks that have yet to cross and have been trying to find out at what age the beaks can be described as crossed. This is important information because it would obviously indicate when the birds have bred? Also, it seems too much of a coincidence that the birds are often accompanied by Coal Tits and it would appear to me that they use the Coal Tits presence as an indicator of safety, has anyone got any evidence of similar behaviour? They seem to watch what the less cautious Coal Tits are doing before coming down?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Birdforumpic..jpg
Views:	12
Size:	522.2 KB
ID:	676978  
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 10:05   #2
davercox
Dave Cox

Very interesting Chas. I haven't come across Coal Tits being used as sentinels before, maybe someone on here has ?

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: