Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Least memorable new bird

Old Friday 12th October 2018, 11:53   #51
Nick-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runcorn Birder View Post
American Coot. Long distance twitch to just east of Inverness. Felt odd wanting to tick and run but not much reason to stick around really.
Same species different place. 580 mile twitch from near Aberdeen to Stodmarsh, never been so unimpressed (although not as unimpressed as the wife and our 12 week old baby son).

Nick
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 12:09   #52
KenM

With the occasional exception....anything with webbed feet and or long legs!

Apologies I strayed from topic...Pie-billed bloody Grebe! The most underwhelming thing I’ve ever seen, compounded by bad light, distance proximity and it’s preference for disappearing from view, in fact...I genuinely can’t remember where or when I saw it.

Last edited by KenM : Friday 12th October 2018 at 13:01.
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 13:22   #53
Armand

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodious View Post
The one going 'chiff' and 'chaff'?
yes, that one, the one most/every? big lister ticked just after grant's the 'new approach' and didnt even notice they weren't looking at an acro

just cos it wears a ring, doesn't make it so
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 13:25   #54
melodious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand View Post
yes, that one, the one most/every? big lister ticked just after grant's the 'new approach' and didnt even notice they weren't looking at an acro

just cos it wears a ring, doesn't make it so
Thankfully I wasn't involved but did read the write-up in Birding World. As I'm not immune to the odd howler it's definitely a case of laughing with!
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 13:29   #55
Hethersett birder

Pallid Swift must be up there - or any other species you wouldn't get away without photographic evidence - in helpful light conditions!
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 13:44   #56
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

Quote:
Thankfully I wasn't involved but did read the write-up in Birding World. As I'm not immune to the odd howler it's definitely a case of laughing with!
I saw that! In my defence I was a bit of a tyro at the time, and did write "looks phylloscopine" in my note book! Took me nearly twenty years to get a real one.
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 13:58   #57
Sherpa
Common English name Paul Willoughby

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Stop it now, it was me that ID'd the Snowy Egret.
hmm

https://britishbirds.co.uk/wp-conten...0_275_A003.pdf
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 14:26   #58
Armand

Quote:
for sure, we all mess up and ive spoken to some very/extremely good birders about 'what the hell happened with that thing', as i didnt go either

bit of a horror show all round, is the gist i got from their tales, as tho it was a given, 'scruffy head' doesn't really cover anyone's blushes does it?
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 15:02   #59
Jane Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by peedee View Post
After decades of anticipation, I was really disappointed by the Anglesey Black Lark, it was a bit like a shit starling to be honest.
Absolutely. Did you see the Ortolan on the same day!

Last Cheshire Pied Wheatear (313) last Red Rocks Subalpine Warbler (260), last Garden Bonaparte's Gull (209), last Self-found Citrine Wagtail (294)

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 12th October 2018, 15:35   #60
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Stop it now, it was me that ID'd the Snowy Egret.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa View Post
Paul - are you looking to cast doubt?

Andy - many thanks. I remember the photos doing the rounds on that Sunday evening from Nottinghamshire to Hertfordshire & then to me and as a picture gradually emerged on my computer from the top downwards getting as far as the lores and thinking I need a lift!

I had just got back from a 48 hour stag weekend in Reykjavik and I knew that I was in no fit state to do the driving myself. (The same person had a second stag weekend in Copenhagen in 2010 for a more successful marriage and my evening meal on the Saturday was interrupted by telephone calls suggesting the Blakeney Empidonax was a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher. Queue a rearranged flight back earlier than intended and a second twitch with a hangover. Maybe he needs a third as it will be a year since my last tick on Sunday.)

On the original topic, I cannot recall my first Common Rosefinch.

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 15:38   #61
wolfbirder

I agree with Andy regards most gulls, tho Ross’s, Ivory, and even Glaucous are cool birds.

I love little brown jobs - some of my most enjoyable twitches have resulted in views of BRW, Paddyfield Warbler, River Warbler, Pallas’s Grasshopper Warbler.

Least exciting - Lesser Canada Goose Freiston Shore or juvenile Rose Coloured Starling in Haverfordwest.
Fav Birds - Hen/Pallid/Monty Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Hobby, Golden Eagle, Merlin, SE Owl, Pom Skua, Hawfinch, Wryneck, Redstart, Shrikes, Roller, Bee-eater's, Nightjar, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Spotted Redshank, any Warblers (especially yank ones)!
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 15:41   #62
melodious

Juvenile Rose-coloured Starling was one of my first notable finds (and a lifer) and it was very exciting, thank you very much!
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 15:46   #63
Armand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Turner View Post
Absolutely. Did you see the Ortolan on the same day!
i wasnt disappointed with the lark and did see the ortolan, only one ive seen away from portland, was a good day
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 15:46   #64
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by peedee View Post
After decades of anticipation, I was really disappointed by the Anglesey Black Lark, it was a bit like a shit starling to be honest.
My wife thought the same, you should have seen the glares she got when she announced that she preferred the shiny black birds with the red beaks to the small dull black one with the white beak!

John
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 16:57   #65
wolfbirder

Quote:
Juvenile Rose-coloured Starling was one of my first notable finds (and a lifer) and it was very exciting, thank you very much!
I think even a Yellow-legged Gull would have been fairly exciting if you found it yourself (:-
Fav Birds - Hen/Pallid/Monty Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Hobby, Golden Eagle, Merlin, SE Owl, Pom Skua, Hawfinch, Wryneck, Redstart, Shrikes, Roller, Bee-eater's, Nightjar, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Spotted Redshank, any Warblers (especially yank ones)!
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 17:01   #66
melodious

Self-found lifers are obviously something of a pinnacle experience though I readily admit that Rose-coloured Starling is not at the top end of the achievable scale.
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 17:17   #67
wolfbirder

Quote:
Self-found lifers are obviously something of a pinnacle experience though I readily admit that Rose-coloured Starling is not at the top end of the achievable scale.
No absolutely fair play for finding one, best I've found is Thrush Nightingale or LSW.
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 17:35   #68
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hethersett birder View Post
Pallid Swift must be up there - or any other species you wouldn't get away without photographic evidence - in helpful light conditions!
Absolutely not! ALL swifts, whatever species, are top class birds! And any swift in November is just extra special
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 17:44   #69
melodious

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbirder View Post
No absolutely fair play for finding one, best I've found is Thrush Nightingale or LSW.
My best is still stalled at The Ministry, 7 years and counting. However, I'm stoical about it as it summons up visions of the last scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 17:50   #70
Xenospiza
Undescribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hethersett birder View Post
Mine was pretty underwhelming as well. ID possible from pictures – that I could not (and cannot) take with my camera. Most swiftlets and Chaetura swifts were better!

Gulls are all fine... as long as they are not too distant. Saw my first Caspian in 1997 when it was still mythical.
<--- People also dislike Scytalopus tapaculos but that's most unfair.

Last edited by Xenospiza : Friday 12th October 2018 at 17:56.
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 18:10   #71
Sherpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chapman View Post
Paul - are you looking to cast doubt?
From the BB article ''Then the penny dropped! We were watching Britain’s first Snowy Egret E. thula, and the enormity of the find began to sink in''

Something doesn't add up, unless I'm missing the point. I acknowledge I am coming at this from a position of knowing nothing, and am just trying to make two contradictory statements tie in.
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 18:20   #72
Jan-Paul Charteris
Sussex birder and budding moth enthusiast

Either the Welney Canvasback or the Portland Iberian Chiffy for me

And for you Facebook birders, always good to get to know other birders https://www.facebook.com/jan.charteris?ref=tn_tnmn
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 18:25   #73
peterbrash

A few candidates.

Blue-cheeked bee eater and river warbler made me realise I didn’t like twitching as much as I thought I did.

Black-faced bunting. Suffering from depression at the time. There seemed a good chance it would be considered an escape. I ‘think’ I saw it but can’t remember whether I bothered.
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 18:31   #74
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa View Post
From the BB article ''Then the penny dropped! We were watching Britain’s first Snowy Egret E. thula, and the enormity of the find began to sink in''

Something doesn't add up, unless I'm missing the point. I acknowledge I am coming at this from a position of knowing nothing, and am just trying to make two contradictory statements tie in.
I suppose in that position without any personal knowledge, I'd look for additional sources of information:-

https://www.birdguides.com/articles/...ritish-record/

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 18:42   #75
Sherpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chapman View Post
I suppose in that position without any personal knowledge, I'd look for additional sources of information:-

https://www.birdguides.com/articles/...ritish-record/

All the best
Thanks for that. There's a fair bit that the BB article left out. Apologies to Andy.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: