• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noctivid (1 Viewer)

Vespobuteo, post 18,
Liking an instrument or a person is always a matter of psychology. However paying the price of a used car for a binocular is a barrier which I find hard to take, of course also a matter of psychology, but it does not feel bad for me. I get to test many binoculars and telescopes without having to buy them and I find that a privilege, which I enjoy a lot and again: joy is also a matter of psychology.
Gijs van Ginkel

I don't know about Holland, but you would have trouble finding a decent used car here for the price of one of the big three binoculars.

Last edited:
I can not help it, that customers give among others the weight of the Noctivid as an argument not to buy it, but it seems a fact of life, so do not blame me for it. I would not buy the Noctivid myself, because of its price, but that is also the case for other binoculars, so I am quite happy with the one I use frequently.
Gijs van Ginkel

So what's the one pair that you're happy with and use frequently, Gijs? Now you've made me curious.

Neill

Noctivid is a fine bino for sure but the advantages of the open hinge layout seem to have been ignored when designing it. With Zeiss's SF when you slip three fingers around the optical tube your first finger falls straight on the focus wheel. Try this with Nvid and your first finger doesn't do this. Shift your hand closer to your face and after a short distance your finger is on the focus wheel but your grip is now a much more traditional one and you no longer have your other fingers gripping the optical tube, which means the open hinge advantage is lost.

Lee

Maljuno, post 21,
Holland is a special country and yes you can buy a good used car for 3000 US dollars, which is about the price of some of the top priced binocuars.
Lee, post 25,
That is exactly also how I described it in my test report, the open bridge of the Noctivid is for quite a few users nice to look at but not practical in use for the reasons you describe clearly in your post.
Actually I like the Ultravids better for their user comfort, optical quality and beautiful appearance, although the Noctivids are also nice as a body design despite their not so useful open bridge.
Gijs van Ginkel

Maljuno,
In addititon to my post 26: I just two minutes ago received notice that we can buy a used car for 1250 euros, so the window of opportunity becomes more and more attractive. That is in Holland of course.
Gijs van Ginkel

Maljuno,
In addititon to my post 26: I just two minutes ago received notice that we can buy a used car for 1250 euros, so the window of opportunity becomes more and more attractive. That is in Holland of course.
Gijs van Ginkel

We can do that here too, but I don't think I would. |:d|

Vespobuteo, post 18,
Liking an instrument or a person is always a matter of psychology. However paying the price of a used car for a binocular is a barrier which I find hard to take, of course also a matter of psychology, but it does not feel bad for me. I get to test many binoculars and telescopes without having to buy them and I find that a privilege, which I enjoy a lot and again: joy is also a matter of psychology.
Gijs van Ginkel

And for us here your evaluations are very much appreciated.
It is a win win.

Andy W.

We can do that here too, but I don't think I would. |:d|

Nonsense. Many excellent used cars are available in the USA for very little. I've owned four cars since 1987, each of them purchased used and that worked reliably for me on many back-country birding adventures coast to coast. I paid $500 for the first two (the first of which lasted 10 years and cost under a thousand to maintain).

Maybe I shouldn't be arguing this point because the stigma on used cars keeps them cheap (individual to individual sales--forget dealers!), which is good for me!

--AP

I have always looked at a car as having RELIABLE transportation, A to B and back. Take care of it and it will take care of you, except er....the chevette or .........um.....hugo, possibly the vega or pinto or even the AMC gremlin.

I drive a 4X4 95 toyota pickup.

Andy W.

Maljuno, post 21,
Holland is a special country and yes you can buy a good used car for 3000 US dollars, which is about the price of some of the top priced binocuars.
Lee, post 25,
That is exactly also how I described it in my test report, the open bridge of the Noctivid is for quite a few users nice to look at but not practical in use for the reasons you describe clearly in your post.
Actually I like the Ultravids better for their user comfort, optical quality and beautiful appearance, although the Noctivids are also nice as a body design despite their not so useful open bridge.
Gijs van Ginkel

Ignoring the more interesting subject of second hand cars for a minute ;), I'd be interested to know what you prefer about the UVHD+ to the NV with regard to optical quality.

I have a 10x42 NV and a 7x42 UVHD+ and love them both. It's hard to compare them optically because of the magnification difference. They're both very special in their own way. But what would you say you preferred about the UVHD+ in the same magnification as a NV?

Ignoring the more interesting subject of second hand cars for a minute

Thank you. Like loud people in a restaurant you keep hoping management will gently restrain but never do, threads will occasionally just careen into outer space like this forcing everyone in the room to silently participate in something they’re not there for.

I'd be interested to know what you prefer about the UVHD+ to the NV with regard to optical quality.

I have a 10x42 NV and a 7x42 UVHD+ and love them both. It's hard to compare them optically because of the magnification difference. They're both very special in their own way. But what would you say you preferred about the UVHD+ in the same magnification as a NV?

Other than taking up less space in my carry-on, I find little to commend the 8x42UVHD+ over the 8X NVD. Because you have them, let me say the 7x42 UVHD+ is another story. My most regrettable sale; for me that was in some ways the best Leica I have ever owned, but optically not the equal of the NVD. The 7X has in some light the most aesthetically pleasing images I’ve ever seen, and enormous ease of view with or without glasses than the UVHD+8X (even more so for glasses wearers), one could go on.

Last edited:
Thanks Vespobuteo, Gijs, and Lee for your (unbiased brand loyalty) information regarding the Noctivid. While I have many 8X42s, not sure of this one.
Lee the SF is still on my mind.

A.W.

Dennis,

Back from the gym, did you get some curls in ....just kidding. I was looking at the specs of the SLC 8X42, and the 8X56, man that glass is heavy, but the view must be very relaxing. I was surprised at the real FOV, higher than other 8X50s on the market. I am curious about the SLC 8X42.
I have read almost all of the reviews on scope views, and after viewing another UV 10X50 in the field, and reading his review, I obtained the UVHD+ at a good price, and very pleased with it. I am good with 10X - SE, HG/LX, and EDG.

Andy W.

MikeF, post 33,
The 8x42 Ultravid plus is 121 grams lighter as the 8x42 Noctivid, handling comfort of the Ultravid HD plus is in my hands better than the Noctivid, brightness is equal for my eyes despite a very little higher light transmission over the measured spectral range of the Noctivid, focussing speed of the Ultravid is faster, the Noctivid has a higher eyerelief as a plus, price difference in March 2017: the Ultravid was 535 euros cheaper than the Noctivid.
Gijs van Ginkel

The 8x56 SLC is pretty heavy on paper but surprisingly it handles quite well. The AFOV is just slightly behind the 10x50 SV so it is impressive. The big thing about the 8x56 SLC is how CLEAR and TRANSPARENT it is. More than any other binocular I have used. It feels like you are not even looking through 12 lenses per tube. The Leica's are good glass they just don't seem as "perfect" to my eyes as the Swaro's. That SLC 8x42 is nice. Did you notice how SMALL it is compared to an SV? It is about the size of a Zeiss 8x32 FL! I picked up another 10x also. I won an auction on Ebay for a NIB Nikon Monarch MHG 10x42 for $650.00 shipped. The 8x42 MHG didn't work for me because the the eye cups were not long enough for the eye relief but the 10x42 has about 1mm less eye relief and guess what it made a difference. The 10x42 MHG actually works pretty good for me and it is a pretty nice binocular especially for $650.00. It doesn't have the transparency of the 8x56 SLC but what does..

Last edited:
I am looking to procure a 8X42 Noctivid prior to the fall this year, (want to see what the green looks like) and while there are multiple reviews of the 10X42, I am curious of current Noctivid owners who have compared it to other 8X42s, for examle FL T, EDG, SF, HT, Leica HD, Meopta etc. I currently have the Leica Ultravid HD and really like the glass, was just curious if there are any significant differences etc, from an optical perspective.

Andy W.

Yeah I've compared most of the 8X42ish binoculars I have to the 8X42 Noctivid. I think you WOULD see an improvement between an UVHD and the Noctivid. Some definite improvements are increased FOV, improved focus adjustment to best in class, improved light transmission while maintaining the traditional Leica color/contrast, more ER, and better objective covers/restraints in a handsome package.

It's a LITTLE larger than a UV series....maybe a little smaller than an 42mm SV...I've away from home so can't tell for sure. Included a pic or two to compare below. Looks to be about the same length as a Conquest HD 42mm..

I swap between a UVHD+ 7X42 and the NTV 10X42 a LOT while carrying both. For me that swap is instinctive. The ergonomics of the NTV have been a non-issue to me. No difference to me between a SF, FL, UVHD+, SV, Noctivid, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_3860.jpg
    IMG_3860.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_3474_5.jpg
    IMG_3474_5.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 207
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back