• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Birds I just can't identify! UK (1 Viewer)

LeedsBird

Hi all, I apologise for the terrible photo quality but just caught these two with my phone when out and about!

The first one was in a patch of woodland near my house in Leeds. It had a black back, white chest and a patch of red at its throat. It was singing away on its own and I didn't see any others like it.

The second one I found singing in a tall hedge in the midlands of Ireland in a cemetery. It was black bird sized and colour, with a bright orange beak but has a totally white head. Again singing away!

Hope someone can help as after consulting all the bird books I'm stumped!

Attachments

• BBBBIRD.jpg
    BBBBIRD.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 603
  • bbbbirddd.jpg
    bbbbirddd.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 446
I'd say Robin and partial albino Blackbird.[/QUOTE

Thanks, after checking out about albino blackbirds I would tend to agree however it definitely wasn't a robin in the first pic, we are inundated with robins here and this was a very bright red patch only under the throat and the rest of the bird was black on top with a black beak.

Robins look very different when viewed from "unusual" angles such as from below, I have photos making the extent of the red look even less than this one. When viewed from above/on the same level you see all the red and don't really see the extent of the whitish underparts...

I appreciate all your help but my view of the bird was much better than the photo much closer than it would appear and there is absolutely no way it was a robin. We get robins in both our front and back gardens that we watch from the upstairs rooms and down stairs in the trees and on the ground so we must have seen hundreds of robins from all angles! Its song was different from a robins, the colours were much, much different, its beak was different, it wasn't as round as a robin. I just can't seem to find a bird anywhere it fits with.

The red section was very small, didn't reach up to its eyes was just a very scarlet red underneath its beak and only around its throat section, the white underneath was bright white and its black was as black as a blackbird.

Compre the op's bird to this one. the angle is different so there is no doubt that it is a Robin, but from this angle it does appear to have white to very high on the breast. Change the angle and change the perception. That is why it is always good to get more than one photo, and Robins are pretty godd at sitting still so normally its possible to get several photos fom different angles. I also think your bird is a Robin.

Attachments

• DSC_6713_edited-1.jpg
    DSC_6713_edited-1.jpg
    479.8 KB · Views: 97
Funny...if you saw a bird like you describe in North America, I'd almost suggest Rose-Breasted Grosbeak. (Almost--not everything matches up, and besides, one doesn't expect to see them in March!) Anything else you can share about this bird: shape of beak, description of song, etc.?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back