• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Ladybird thread (1 Viewer)

I saw my first Ladybird today of 2007. I couldn't tell what spot type it was as I only saw it climbing opposite the window as I was on the bus but I do know it was defantly a Ladybird.

presumably these are 2-spot and orange ladybird?
Ken

Yes indeed although the orange, Halyzia sedecimguttata looks rather the worse for wear - looks as if the nearside elytron has been damaged, or failed to develop properly.

The 2-spot, Adalia bipunctata is also quite interesting as the spots are somewhat extended and look rather ocellated - with a yellowish rim ....

Interesting ....

Last edited:
Hi,
Please can anyone help with these if possible?

I thought maybe ladybird larvae,but im not sure because they were very small ..found on the same willow tree in rural sussex,a few days back ..first ones about 3.5mm ish ..second about 2-3mm ish ?

thanks,
jc

Attachments

• 15larva.jpg
    15larva.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 116
  • nlarva_8625F1.jpg
    nlarva_8625F1.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 116
Not a lot! The first ones almost certainly early larvae of a chrysomelid, leaf beetle - of which there are two or three on willows. The second one is a nymph/larva that I've not seen before but reminds me of a tree-hopper or related bug?

Hi,
Please can anyone help with these if possible?
I thought maybe ladybird larvae,but im not sure because they were very small ..found on the same willow tree in rural sussex,a few days back ..first ones about 3.5mm ish ..second about 2-3mm ish ?
thanks,
jc

thanks for the id:)

I described it as a possible hopper when i uploaded it to my site,but wasnt sure between the two ...i agree,the legs and shape do seem hopperish,but im hopeless on hoppers ,so many of them:) its cool looking whatever it is

Thanks for the link,im downloading it now.

If possible,please can anyone id this?I found it resting on a nettle in rural sussex october last year,but never did find out if it could be a harlequin? it was about 7-10mm from memory.

thanks,
jc

Attachments

• ladylarv.jpg
    ladylarv.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 124
This pair were too busy to pose for a photo... any idea what sp.? (I see that they bear a close resemblance to the 14-spot shown on the previous page.)
Ken

Attachments

• DSCN1682.JPG
    DSCN1682.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 107
JC001, I would say that is a harlequin larva. There are some similar larvae such as the cream-spot ladybird but that only has two 'spikes' on the back between the rows of orange spikes.

That is a 14-spot ladybird, Ken. It's much more like the ones I see with the bars instead of spots. That one on the previous page is unusual.

thanks for the id + explanation Mis :) We had a huge infestation of similar/same looking larva in some of the local nettle patches a month or so ago,every plant was covered ..still some now but not in such large numbers..I contacted the survey about it last year.

I recommend the link Paul posted for anyone interested in the harlequin ladybird or the history of it in this country,was well worth a look.

Here's another larva. I think this one is a cream-spot ladybird larva. It was on a bramble, quite close to an adult.

Attachments

• creamspotlarva.jpg
    creamspotlarva.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 98
When I was over in England this year, I noticed LOADS of Ladybirds. Has this year been a good year for them? I've seen very few (single figures) in Ireland this year...

It seems a good year on my patch. We had large numbers (250+) of pine ladybirds earlier in the year and I'm seeing more 7-spot ladybirds than last year. 2-spot, 14-spot and cream-spot ladybirds are around in smaller quantities than the 7-spots and I've seen very few orange ladybirds so far.
I've seen harlequins in more parts of the patch though.

Hi,

Does anyone know what these might be?
Both found recently in rural sussex,first one maybe 6-7mm,second maybe 5mm ?

thankyou,
jc

Attachments

• nladybirdlarva1.jpg
    nladybirdlarva1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 108
  • nladybirdlarva_9927 (1)x.jpg
    nladybirdlarva_9927 (1)x.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 99

Users who are viewing this thread

Back