• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID - Sri Lanka (1 Viewer)

sidp7

Hi,

Please help ID these beauties captured in Sri Lanka.

1 - White-breasted kingfisher
2 - ?
3 - ?
4 - crested serpent eagle
5 - Great Indian Hornbill

Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• IMG_7248.jpg
    IMG_7248.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7729.jpg
    IMG_7729.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7756.jpg
    IMG_7756.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8353.jpg
    IMG_8353.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7997.jpg
    IMG_7997.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
1: White-throated Kingfisher (same as W-breasted Kingfisher)
2: White-bellied Drongo
3: Great Tit
4: not sure here, but given the feathered tarsi it's either an eagle or a hawk-eagle
5: Malabar Pied Hornbill

no 3 according some classifications is either a subspecies of Great Tit (Parus major cinereous), or a separate species Cinereous Tit - (Parus cinereous)

no 4 - Could it be the Crested Hawk Eagle aka the Changeable Hawk Eagle. Forgive me if I am wrong here.

no 3 according some classifications is either a subspecies of Great Tit (Parus major cinereous), or a separate species Cinereous Tit - (Parus cinereous)

no 4 - Could it be the Crested Hawk Eagle aka the Changeable Hawk Eagle. Forgive me if I am wrong here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in Sri Lanka it was Parus major mahrattarum (part of Great Tit), which is now considered as Parus cinereus mahrattarum (part of Cinereous Tit), after groups major and cinereus (note spelling) were split.

Dear Rafael
Thank you for your helpful and accurate emendation to my erroneous assertation in respect of the bird member of the tit family discussed.

Look here for the Tit discussed in #3 and #5
It looks it was changed by some authorities in 2013. If you scroll down, the changes are seen as and when they are recognised.
As usual, the editors of our own Opus are up to date with any taxonomic changes that occur. See here

PS. thanks for the update, Rafael! My bird guide "Birds of Sri Lanka" by Helm did not include this update. I think I need to check the other species in it too now.

Last edited:
PS. thanks for the update, Rafael! My bird guide "Birds of Sri Lanka" by Helm did not include this update. I think I need to check the other species in it too now.

Shed loads of fairly recent Sri Lanka splits Andy. Not sure which are in that field guide, but check out the drongo, both spp of flameback, green pigeon, woodshrike, swallow... Maybe others too

Shed loads of fairly recent Sri Lanka splits Andy. Not sure which are in that field guide, but check out the drongo, both spp of flameback, green pigeon, woodshrike, swallow... Maybe others too
B :)

Most have been updated, with only the Lesser Goldenback (now Black-rumped and Red-backed Flameback) still in the old form.

My version was reprinted with corrections in 2013, so quite a few of the slightly older changes are included. Still, it is definitely worth checking the rest of the book.

Armchair birding...can't beat it3:)

I need to find the German names anyway, so it will keep me busy

One of them is "Orangespecht" Andy :) Though i dont know if it was before or after the split.

Thanks mate, The Orangespecht is the Black-rumped Flameback and the other part of the split is Rotrückenspecht, or Red-Backed Flameback. they were both previously called Lesser Goldenback or Orangespecht. It seems that the German name carried over and the Rotrückenspect split off it, whereas the English gave them both a new name.
Do you know if NABU has responsibility for naming splits? There are a few without names that I know of over the past few years.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back