• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (2 Viewers)

Reader said:
Arrived about 09:30and left about 11am
So you might be in this picture? (taken just before 11am)

dwayne950 said:
Ditto to Readers comments, GCT. Simon - don't recall seeing you though probably did!!!
I was wearing my BirdForum badge on a black thinsulate hat, Camo jacket & jeans........................................That narrows it down then........NOT! ;)

EDIT: Just seen your age.....I did actually let a young lad in to the front as we were leaving, might that have been you? (I was with my mate Roger - long haired chap in a grey camo jacket - front and centre of photo standing next to my rucksack and scope)

Attachments

• twitcher_pitcher.jpg
    twitcher_pitcher.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
I saw your mate Roger, and the woman standing next to him, I was talking to her for a bit, and then got let to the front where I stayed for quite a while - the long haired chap was standing up behind me. I had a grey coat on, and I look quite old, don't recall you letting me in, though a few people did......

Cheers,

Grey-cheeked Thrush!

Smashing bird. Gotta be one of the birds of 2005 for me.

Thanks to Reader for the lift from the station. Met Darrenom and got a lift back too! Cushty.

Shame to have missed you Simon.

Larry Lade said:
So, Gill, what is your "dipped" to "not dipped" ratio? ;)

Not sure Larry but when I have a few minutes ( or hours ) spare I'll work it out! ;)

I've been birding on and off since 1983ish and some of my more annoying dips include the Black-winged Stilt on MY local patch ( Wallsend Swallow Pond ) in 1987. I was there almost EVERY evening after work and during the day at weekends for two YEARS yet the Stilt decided to make an appearance whilst I was away on holiday!!! :-C
Errmm....what else.....various Buntings and LBJs which I don't really fret about cos I find them so difficult anyway and usually need a more experienced birder to help me out LOL
This year I somehow managed to miss the long-staying Rough-legged Buzzard at St Mary's Lighthouse - every time I went, good weather or bad, it was nowhere to be seen!
Ditto the Mandarin on the Wetlands!!!
But for 2005 I think the one I REALLY got narked about was the Spoonbill at Cresswell Pond in May - HOW i managed to miss something that big and WHITE is anybody's guess!!!!!! I'm beginning to think Spoonbills are just a mythical bird :-O Determined to catch up with one in 2006 though!

Birds that I've went for and actually seen include the European Bee-eaters at Bishop Middleham in August 2002 - Neil and I saw them the day before they flew off!
I caught up with the Hoopoe at Boulmer last month courtesy of Rayl and yesterday I saw the Red-necked Grebe *i'm on a roll*

Only question is.......what do I go for the week after next when I have a whole week off work.....

Gill

After a 4 hour wait & search finally got the Green Heron. Got some good photos too but I will possibly do a seperate thread about that.

SimonC said:

I was wearing my BirdForum badge on a black thinsulate hat, Camo jacket & jeans........................................That narrows it down then........NOT! ;)

EDIT: Just seen your age.....I did actually let a young lad in to the front as we were leaving, might that have been you? (I was with my mate Roger - long haired chap in a grey camo jacket - front and centre of photo standing next to my rucksack and scope)

I wouldn't have been in that photo by that time as I had moved well to the left.

Shame I didn't meet you. I tend to stand out a bit as I always wear the old style BF cap.

Reader said:
After a 4 hour wait & search finally got the Green Heron. Got some good photos too but I will possibly do a seperate thread about that.
Great photos of the Green Heron! I've seen them a few times where I live (not at all rare here).

My most recent lifer: Hermit Thrush. Yesterday, Potomac, MD.

Le Conte's Sparrow

For the past week or so, I've been trying to track down an elusive small bird at the college where I work. From the odd glimpse I got, I thought it was probably a Sedge Wren -- mainly because it was solitary, had a short tail which it often cocked, and it seemed to bob up and down. This morning it finally came out into the open and let me look at it for 5+ minutes. It was a Le Conte's Sparrow, a very beautiful bird as sparrows go.

Jeff

SimonC said:

My word what a crowd! Yesterday at my nature center I was the only one birding. The only people I saw was a family of four hiking the trails and the naturalist in the office. I did see hundreds of ducks-green winged teal, mallards, Northern Pintails, American Widgeons and -a LIFER for me- about 6 Hooded Mergansers. They are beautiful birds!

American Woodcock

On New Year's Day I discovered a nice patch of "wild" woodland just 400 yards from our house. Most of the birds I've seen there are the same as those which visit our feeders, plus a few other pretty common local birds: Red-shouldered Hawk, Great Egret, Great Blue Heron, Plieated Woodpecker, Eastern Phoebe, etc. But on Sunday an American Woodcock appeared almost literally at my feet. I probably wouldn't have recognized it as quickly as I did except that just before Xmas I saw a dead one at the college where I work.

Jeff

Phalarope said:
Silvery-throated Jays in the highlands of Costa Rica--the culmination of a 10-day trip with an amazing 75 lifers among 365 species seen. Other delights were Rufous-necked Wood-Rail, Great Green Mackaws, and a Snowcap. Richard Garrigues did a fine job of shepherding 8 birders around the country.

Phalarope

Same bird (!!!) was my last one, an excellent Chiriqui endemic. Also had Buffy-crowned Wood-Partridge/Dendrortyx leucophrys and White-crested Coquette/Lophornis adorabilis on same trip, scoring three lifers on my last visit to Costa Rica, last November.

Bittern - finally!
At Brandon Marsh, my local patch in Warwickshire. Fantastic views from about 30feet and then flew in front of the hide and landed in reeds on the other side of the hide. Thrilled! Oh, btw - that was on Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back