• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Taking other people photos, and calling them your own (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Can I just say that I think it is too easy to get a picture from Flickr site (or other sites, and breach copyrights) or whoever, and call it you own work. I find that disturbing.

I feel that is an issue as it defeats the purpose of being true to yourself. Why do that at all. It is a form of cheating.

To an amateur eye, you can escape being found out so to speak, but to an experienced eye it will be noticed as a fake. I have quite a good eye for detail myself, and do not miss a trick myself. ;)

Just an observation here. This appears to be done by the odd person here and there, simply because they cannot be honest about who they are, and what their motives are on this site. Why make things up in the first place:-C

Or correct me if I am wrong here??

Last edited:
Can I just say that I think it is too easy to get a picture from Flickr site (or other sites, and breach copyrights) or whoever, and call it you own work. I find that disturbing.

I feel that is an issue as it defeats the purpose of being true to yourself. Why do that at all. It is a form of cheating.

To an amateur eye, you can escape being found out so to speak, but to an experienced eye it will be noticed as a fake. I have quite a good eye for detail myself, and do not miss a trick myself. ;)

Just an observation here. This appears to be done by the odd person here and there, simply because they cannot be honest about who they are, and what their motives are on this site. Why make things up in the first place:-C

Or correct me if I am wrong here??

Peewit..if you know who is doing it..you should report it to admin..this birdforum is for people who take there own pictures in the wild of wild birds and wild life...it's pathetic to call someone's pictures you own..but one must be postive ..for being honest i dont think i can judge if a picture is faked..and admin i hope you have noted this going on in Birdforum.Regards people and thank you for bring it up Peewit.:t:

Last edited:
Peewit..if you know who is doing it..you should report it to admin..this birdforum is for people who take there own pictures in the wild of wild birds and wild life...it's pathetic to call someone's pictures you own..but one must be postive ..for being honest i dont think i can judge if a picture is faked..and admin i hope you have noted this going on in Birdforum.Regards people and thank you for bring it up Peewit.:t:

Hi Dr (can I call you that)

Thank for your reply here

I am not relating this issue to long term members like yourself, and other long term members, who love their subject. You, like myself can tell if people enjoy bird, and wildlife in general. I can tell if people are enthusatic too.

It is the newer members, that I can see with this issue. It just does not feel right at all.

We take this issue extremely seriously but we can't quite work out from your post whether you
1: Know someone on BF is passing-off photos taken by someone else.
2: Suspect someone on BF is passing-off photos taken by someone else.
3: You feel it has to be the case due to all the exceptional photographs on Birdforum and that new members join and post great photos.

If it is #1 or #2 please contact a moderator or admin immediately.

If it is #3 or something else entirely, then please clarify the situation on this thread (curiously posted in the critique forum?). Without some evidence, you should not be tarnishing the reputation of any site's membership.

Over the 5 years of BF's life, a member passing off the work of another as their own has only occured once (many years ago). Every now and again a new member will mistake the BF gallery as somewhere to post any photos of birds they have collected from the web... this is never done with malice or deception in mind.

With the huge activity on BF, it would be suicidal to upload and pass off someone elses work as your own ... you would be found out very quickly by other members, many of whom are very active elsewhere on the bird photography parts of the web (Flickr amongst many). You could get away with it on some 'backwater' of a site, but even then you could well be found out via a search engine image search at some time.

As I say, we take these allegations extremely seriously and you (or anyone else) should contact staff straight away with your concerns and we will investigate the matter.

regards,
Andy

We take this issue extremely seriously but we can't quite work out from your post whether you
1: Know someone on BF is passing-off photos taken by someone else.
2: Suspect someone on BF is passing-off photos taken by someone else.
3: You feel it has to be the case due to all the exceptional photographs on Birdforum and that new members join and post great photos.

If it is #1 or #2 please contact a moderator or admin immediately.

If it is #3 or something else entirely, then please clarify the situation on this thread (curiously posted in the critique forum?). Without some evidence, you should not be tarnishing the reputation of any site's membership.

Over the 5 years of BF's life, a member passing off the work of another as their own has only occured once (many years ago). Every now and again a new member will mistake the BF gallery as somewhere to post any photos of birds they have collected from the web... this is never done with malice or deception in mind.

With the huge activity on BF, it would be suicidal to upload and pass off someone elses work as your own ... you would be found out very quickly by other members, many of whom are very active elsewhere on the bird photography parts of the web (Flickr amongst many). You could get away with it on some 'backwater' of a site, but even then you could well be found out via a search engine image search at some time.

As I say, we take these allegations extremely seriously and you (or anyone else) should contact staff straight away with your concerns and we will investigate the matter.

regards,
Andy

WELL SAID ANDY...:clap:..Birdforum is our family and i for one havent seen any such happening here..but if you feel something wrong....please contact Mods or Admin i say.Regards.:t:

This has happened to me on myspace so i have withdrawn all pictures off there well done Andy.lets keep birdforum cheat free.

Nope, this didn't even involve photos uploaded to BF.

As to security of your own photos... the BF gallery is more secure than a personal website or many other online hosts. Only fully registered members can view the images, the BF gallery images cannot be found in a google/yahoo image search...which is where most image thieves find their photos.
cheers.
Andy

It happened to me the other day, a few of my images turned up on another site.
When I left a comment on the images telling the person he was a **** ****** 88****
he deleted the comments and blocked me from commenting on his images.

So I contacted the people who run the site but they want nothing to do with it and palm you off to a yahoo copyright infringement link.
The site in question has a long history of image theft by it's members and the site controllers seem quite pleased to let it keep happening, quote from the forum on there, if you don't want your images nicked! don't post them on the web.. Sums the site up really.

Anyway, one of the images had won a prize which you can only collect if you have exif data for the image (again,tells you something about the site) so I posted the same image into the gallery asking the person that stole it if he would like to comment on how I had the same image as the one he supposedly took, and if he had collected his prize for it knowing he never had the data..

That seemed to do the trick :) he has since had his portfolio removed, weather he deleted it or the site moderators did I'll never know but at least it's gone.

It's a sad fact that this sort of thing happens and no matter what you do to protect your image, other than a hugh copyright logo that spoils it, if they really want they will take it... :-(

Lets hope the techno bods come up with a copyright logo that appears only when it gets downloaded.. that would be cool....

If you cannot get the thief to remove it, you can write to the owner of the webservice and inform them of the violation under the (Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). They then become financially responsible if they don't act to remove it.

I have done this for example with Yahoo concerning their Flickr site and they have always banned the member and removed his pages. Fitting in my opinion.

A couple of years ago i got a PM from another BF member asking me if i also post my photos on a Pakistani \ Aphgani Arabic site .He speaks the language and saw some familiar photos there - remembering they were mine from Bf . I was surprised to hear that, since I've never done so . I quickly entered the site and to my disbelief - many of my photos and photos of other Israeli bird photographers were all posted there by the same "photographer " - someone unknown who claimed they were his ..
I called the Admin of the Israeli site - ( his photos were also "stolen " ) - and he signed in as a member of the site - Pm'd the Admin of that site - letting him know of the scam by sending over the original photos with the signature, exif and copyright .
Once this was done - the "thief" was banned from the site , his username was locked and all photos were removed .

I thank BF and Bf members for being such good friends . !!!
This is what i call one great community .
( BUT - since the Net is so large - i believe that somewhere ,sometime - our pictures are used by other people without us knowing ..)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back