• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Favourite bird behaviour (2 Viewers)

Denis J

following on from Fifebirders favourite bit of a bird post what is your favourite bird behaviour I for one never get bored with watching ravens flip upside down how about you?

When I thought about the question, what sprung immediately and incomparably to mind was a vast Tolkienesque tower of twigs, with a tiny animated sunbeam, the Golden Bowerbird, sitting nearby, in a surrealistic scene from the shadowy forest of n.e. Queensland that I shall never forget.

I've only seen Honey Buzzard display once but it was pretty startling. It's particularly odd seeing a bird in the air, doing stuff with its wings but not flying. If that makes sense. If you've seen it you'll know what I mean.

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again - you can't beat Dippers. Seeing a thrush-like bird plunging vigorously into an ice cold torrent of water never fails to astonish.

A very simple one for me, but it never fails to raise a smile.
All round Stevenage, there are shrubberies (leave it Roger.....Ni!) with bark chips as a way of reducing weeds I guess. Every so often a council worker will come round & sweep the bark chips that have strayed onto the pavement back onto the bed. Without fail, a Blackbird will be following him, chucking the chips back all over the pavement. Very funny to watch, but probably not if you're the poor sap that has to go around sweeping them back up. :bounce:

I like how Wrens seemed to get p*ssed off at me if i get to near. They always look and sound a bit angry, but given their size and shape it makes them seem so funny to me.

This probably sound a bit tame by comparison, but - seeing a bluetit mum eating eggshell, and realising that one of the chicks has hatched is pretty special to us. If we are lucky enough to see this again this year, the excitement will still be there!

Attachments

• shelleat.jpg
    shelleat.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 148
I love watching Sparrows, Blue tits etc bathe in a puddle or even dust bathing. Its just how 'un-dignified' they look right at that moment, with their feathers ruffled and they seem to have a 'oh i really needed that' look on their faces.

tracker........ :t:

Spotted Redshank swimming -can't get my head round that -just doesn't look right! :h?: But the one that I really like is the haughty nose-in-the-air indifference of Great Bustard as it struts away from you cooly pretending it doesn't give a damn. :cool:

I also thought straight away, the same as birdman, the courtship of Great Crested Grebes. So peculiar and yet, so elegant.

Watching hummingbirds defend their feeders is always hilarious. So much testosterone packed into such a small package! Also anytime a bird scolds you for FEEDING IT has to be worth a few chuckles. :) :)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back