• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sani wetlands bird sanctuary - Halkidiki (1 Viewer)

Tony Knight

United Kingdom
Can someone advise whether these wetlands are open to the general public or only those staying at the Sani resort, which seems very closely linked ? I have found walks that have "views" over the wetlands but nothing about accessing the wetlands themsleves other than tours for guests of the hotel on the hotel website. I will be staying about 15 mins drive away and would like to spend a few early mornings here assuming it's actually accessible for non-guests.

Thanks.

Can someone advise whether these wetlands are open to the general public or only those staying at the Sani resort, which seems very closely linked ? I have found walks that have "views" over the wetlands but nothing about accessing the wetlands themsleves other than tours for guests of the hotel on the hotel website. I will be staying about 15 mins drive away and would like to spend a few early mornings here assuming it's actually accessible for non-guests.

Thanks.
I am going in August how do you access the wetlands wouldn't mind having a look round myself.

Cheers.

As an update, I visited the wetland last month. You are able to park on the edge of the Sani Resort, close to the water treatment plant. From there a track leads up the western side of the wetland, so access is very easy. Plenty of Pygmy Cormorant and the expected Squacco Heron, Black-crowned Night Heron, Purple Heron, Bee-eater, Red backed & Woodchat Shrike, Great Reed Warbler, Marsh Harrier etc.

Another gem of a wetland is the Agios Mamas Marsh, just north of the canal on Kassandra. Probably around 20 mins away from Sani by car. Short-toed Snake Eagle, Marsh Harrier, Great Spotted Cuckoo, Gt Short-toed Lark, Tawny Pipit, loads of waders, Gr Flamingo and White-winged Tern.

We stayed in Afitos on Kassandra and there was some decent farmland birding just west of the town with Turtle Dove and numerous Black-headed Bunting amongst others. A great area overall. I was on a family non birding type holiday but trying to do as much birding as possible, usually early morning. I finished with a trip list of 89 which I was well pleased with.

I also did a boat trip to the Halkidiki Monasteries. I used this as a means to over 5 hours at sea hoping for Scopoli’s Shearwater. I saw three plus over 200 Yelkouan Shearwater.

As an update, I visited the wetland last month. You are able to park on the edge of the Sani Resort, close to the water treatment plant. From there a track leads up the western side of the wetland, so access is very easy. Plenty of Pygmy Cormorant and the expected Squacco Heron, Black-crowned Night Heron, Purple Heron, Bee-eater, Red backed & Woodchat Shrike, Great Reed Warbler, Marsh Harrier etc.

Another gem of a wetland is the Agios Mamas Marsh, just north of the canal on Kassandra. Probably around 20 mins away from Sani by car. Short-toed Snake Eagle, Marsh Harrier, Great Spotted Cuckoo, Gt Short-toed Lark, Tawny Pipit, loads of waders, Gr Flamingo and White-winged Tern.

We stayed in Afitos on Kassandra and there was some decent farmland birding just west of the town with Turtle Dove and numerous Black-headed Bunting amongst others. A great area overall. I was on a family non birding type holiday but trying to do as much birding as possible, usually early morning. I finished with a trip list of 89 which I was well pleased with.

I also did a boat trip to the Halkidiki Monasteries. I used this as a means to over 5 hours at sea hoping for Scopoli’s Shearwater. I saw three plus over 200 Yelkouan Shearwater.
Hi Mark, aldo this is an old topic, Its great seing suth a nice list of birdspiecies. I booked a hollyday in this area and searshing the internet for info abouth birds and locations to see such nice ones as you did. did you use an app or internetsite to locate birds. do you know more good locations nearby? thank you already gr Nicolaas

Hi Mark, aldo this is an old topic, Its great seing suth a nice list of birdspiecies. I booked a hollyday in this area and searshing the internet for info abouth birds and locations to see such nice ones as you did. did you use an app or internetsite to locate birds. do you know more good locations nearby? thank you already gr Nicolaas
Hi there and I just wanted to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum!

Hi there and I just wanted to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum!
thank you, I think this site will be fery helpfull if I use it well, I have to find out how it works but I think I will make a new toppic to ask my qusions about were I can find current abservations in that regio and tips for the best place to go birding

There is a book “Birdwatching Sites in Northern Greece” by Steve Mills and a website published by birdwing.eu, from which you can purchase said book.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back