• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with identification (1 Viewer)

juanit

Hello All

Can you please help with identification on Dactyl`s, they always seem to get the better of me.

The albiflora is one I have come across in some shots taken in 2007 in Bristol area.
The others were taken on Saturday 19th June on a local walking trail close to home where there were hundreds of Dactyl`s
Thanks in advance
Anita

IMG_0775.JPG

IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0836.JPG

IMG_0843.JPG

IMG_0846.JPG

Hello All

Can you please help with identification on Dactyl`s, they always seem to get the better of me.

The albiflora is one I have come across in some shots taken in 2007 in Bristol area.
The others were taken on Saturday 19th June on a local walking trail close to home where there were hundreds of Dactyl`s
Thanks in advance
Anita

Anita

The first plant is a var alba Common Spotted.

I suspect the others are all hybrids. No doubt Sean will have an opinion as he is local to that area.

Rich M

I know spotted is very variable and that is probably what it is, but the white one has a look of fragrant about it.

My first thoughts exactly, I wonder if it is a fragrant CSO hybrid. I have never knowingley seen one but YH posted yesterday regarding them.

All the best

John

Im yet to be convinced with the potential for Fragrant in image 1. I have stumbled across the inter-specific hybrid a couple of times, photos provided below for interest, of one from a couple of years ago in the Lake District. These plants looked more or less 50/50 with the two parents with the following features noted:

- narrow fragrant like flower spike (loose slightly tapering) but more robust than most fragrants
- a floret with mixed features eg long thin lateral sepals, longish spur, pale pink background colour of Fragrant compared with broader lobes and lip shape and faint 'spotting/streaking' of Common Spot (or the Dactyl influence)
- a fragrant smell
- heavily keeled leaves as per Fragrant, but spotted unlike that sp.

The plant in question does have a slight 'podgy' fragrant look to the flowers, but it also doesnt look outside of Common Spot range of variation to me, and I'd want to see more signs fragrant influence. Just my initial thoughts. Any other photos available Anita?

The others do look like hybrids between Common Spot and a Marsh Orchid, maybe Southern Marsh going on colours and shape eg of photo 2, although photo 4 is very dark... Its hard to do these hybrids from photos.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_1129.jpg
    IMG_1129.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1130.jpg
    IMG_1130.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1132.jpg
    IMG_1132.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1133.jpg
    IMG_1133.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1134.jpg
    IMG_1134.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 43
Hello All

Thank you for your replies.
My thoughts were Common Spotted. It was the lip that threw me, not quite the typical form I have seen before.
Unfortunately I do not have any other pictures.
It was photographed at the Lizard site in Bristol.
As to the hybrids there were southern marsh and common spotted growing together on the same site.
Many thanks
Anita

Hello All

Thank you for your replies.
My thoughts were Common Spotted. It was the lip that threw me, not quite the typical form I have seen before.
Unfortunately I do not have any other pictures.
It was photographed at the Lizard site in Bristol.
Anita

Anita

there are regularly 3 alba Common Spotted at that site in Bristol.

Rich M

Thanks Richard

Only ever visited the site once in 2007. Met you by chance at the fibrugensis site you was with Howard.

Anita

Yes I wondered if you were the same Anita. That friburgensis site hasn't been doing so well recently, only 1 plant this year and none last year.

Rich M

I agree. First is a Common Spotted albiflora (with an albeit unusually small lip) and the rest are Southern Marsh x Common Spotted hybrids of varying stature.

Mike.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back