Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

RSPB Online Shop

Old Friday 13th April 2018, 20:46   #1
IAN JAMES THOMPSON

RSPB Online Shop

I don’t know whether it’s my imagination, but it seems to me that the now look and style RSPB online shop has less items to look at and order than previously. I’m wondering whether anyone else has noticed that. I hope it’s just my imagination as I’m not 100% sure.
Ian.
Old Friday 13th April 2018, 21:27   #2
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN JAMES THOMPSON View Post
I donít know whether itís my imagination, but it seems to me that the now look and style RSPB online shop has less items to look at and order than previously. Iím wondering whether anyone else has noticed that. I hope itís just my imagination as Iím not 100% sure.
Ian.
Fewer items.....

John
Old Friday 13th April 2018, 22:03   #3
IAN JAMES THOMPSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
Fewer items.....

John
Thatís what I meant. Do you think the RSPB are selling fewer items on the RSPB Online Shop?
Ian.
Old Saturday 14th April 2018, 03:25   #4
Mike C
Emeritus President at Burnage Rugby Club

I was very disappointed to be unable to find a good car sticker (size of a tax disc or RNLI/NT sticker)
I used to have a really good blue one - if you understand what I mean.
I also had a pin badge in the same design.

I asked the "marketing team" and they had no idea whether these might ever be available in future.
The young lad on the phone didn’t quite get the concept of showing support for an organisation.
Old Saturday 14th April 2018, 18:54   #5
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN JAMES THOMPSON View Post
Thatís what I meant. Do you think the RSPB are selling fewer items on the RSPB Online Shop?
Ian.
I have no means of knowing, as I've never counted the number of items available in the past. Too busy birding to count catalogue items.

How do current trends in catalogue size for the RSPB compare with WWT? The Wildlife Trusts? NHBS? M&S? Amazon? If you don't have these figures how can you make authoritative comment on the factors causing the trend at RSPB, whatever it is? (Please understand this is not a proposal that you should go and find out then come back and report.)

And above all, why does it matter? On that I do want you to report.

John
Old Saturday 14th April 2018, 20:37   #6
a_j_steele

I would imagine like most retailers if there not selling enough of certain lines there will stop selling them becauise even though its part of a charity its still a run as a business
Old Monday 16th April 2018, 11:45   #7
kb57

I'm speculating here, but I guess the lack of a car sticker might be something to do with the RSPBs promotion of sustainable transport - get in free if you arrive by public transport or under your own steam. That said, I suppose you could argue the opposite - NT for Scotland supply car stickers which are meant to be displayed in car parks to show you don't need to pay.
Old Monday 16th April 2018, 12:38   #8
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it

This feels like one of your other previous threads Ian.

As a charity any commercial activity undertaken by the RSPB is for the express purpose of generating a surplus / profit that can be used in accordance with the charity's stated aims. If the profit margins at too small or the demand not significant enough to warrant the considerable investment (and therefore exposure) in stock then it would be a prudent decision to temper it's involvement in such market at an appropriate level of risk and reward. It would be interesting to know how much profit the RSPB makes on every £ of optics sold. Other organisations have chosen differing arrangements with optics retailers e.g. the Wildgowl & Wetland Trust and In Focus.
Old Monday 16th April 2018, 13:22   #9
Overread
Hunting birds with a canon

One thing that's important to remember is that whilst the internet is huge (and some sites like Amazon are very powerful) many people are not online. The RSPB might well have found that they sell way more through local reserves and far less through their online store; therefore it was better to downsize the online stock holdings since it wasn't returning as big a return. It might also be that things like car stickers and the like were simply not profitable to sell online (where I suspect the postage cost was more than the disk generates in profit/is worth to charge).
If their online store hasn't cornered a strong niche of its own then chances are its just not got people seeking it out
Old Monday 16th April 2018, 13:29   #10
BimmyB

Ian, Have you thought of actually contacting the RSPB to see if they have removed items, reduced their range, and thought to ask if yes to either of these, Why?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: