• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should I look a porro prism boniculars? (1 Viewer)

Birder644

Should I look for a porro-prism model?

I'm in the market for an additional binoculars 8 or 10x in the $100-$150 range and was thinking of looking into only porro prism models. Since from what i read it seems that you get more bang for the buck as their cheaper to make. Any thoughts or particular models?

I'm in the market for an additional binoculars 8 or 10x in the $100-$150 range and was thinking of looking into only porro prism models. Since from what i read it seems that you get more bang for the buck as their cheaper to make. Any thoughts or particular models?
The Leupold BX-1 Yosemite 8x30mm is a good choice for a porro and if you want a roof the Celestron Trailseeker 8x42 is a good choice. In that price range get an 8x.

https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-BX-1...3393454&sr=8-2&keywords=leupold+yosemite+8x30
https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-71...26&sr=8-3&keywords=Celestron+Trailseeker+8x42
https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma...www.bestbinocularsreviews.co...seeker-140.htm

Last edited:
Birder ...... I think your statement of more bang for the buck with Porros is generally true. There are exceptions when there are special promotions or close outs on a roof model.

A Porro that is a worthy contender in your budget is the Nikon Aculon 8X42. I like this model best in the series because of the wide field of view. Normal price is around $80 to $90. There was a great promotion on them a few months ago for around $30 and I picked one up. It has a very good center view, good color balance, good brightness and a smooth quality focus feel. It is big in the hands and has plastic type materials in some of the construction. It does not have the largest center view but the center sharpness is well within my primary viewing area. It will provide a quality view for birding at a very good price. The Leupold Yosemite models are also a good entry choice but I give the edge to the Nikon Aculon.

An exception to the Porro rule right at the moment is a great sale on the Bushnell Legend M 8X42. Roger's Sporting Goods is selling it on their website at $159.99. They also sell it on eBay but right now their website has the better price than their eBay listing.

Here is a thread on the Bushnell. I think it is worth the extra money over the Aculon.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=342002

Nikon Action Extreme gets very solid reviews in that price range. You might like the 8x40 but I'd go with the 7x35 for that wondrously large FOV.

If you don’t mind another 7x35, perhaps the Celestron LandScout which I’ve read good things about. I think there’s an 8x42 as well.
One thing to check though, is the eyerelief. From what I could see on a YouTube video, the eyecups look like they shorten the e/r quite a lot.

Porro v roof

This begs the question - Why?
Porro prisms can focus all the different wave lengths of light into a single point. Roof prisms can't unless they have Phase Correction Coatings which add to the cost. Also the actual prisms are easier to make in the porro shape compared to the two different shapes in a roof prism binocular.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back